Emerging from the Stone Age

Frobby

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The intricacies of release point have been an early focus, what Cobb called, "the way the ball is coming out of the hand."

@Frobby ?

Glad that the team is on the right track.  This is exciting stuff to read.

Was disappointing to read that Ortiz and Kremer got here last year and were disappointed not to find any of this stuff.  So happy to see Elias doing his thing.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@Frobby ?

Glad that the team is on the right track.  This is exciting stuff to read.

Was disappointing to read that Ortiz and Kremer got here last year and were disappointed not to find any of this stuff.  So happy to see Elias doing his thing.

I'm kind of excited they knew about it all and were already embracing it. And that we're starting to get all this good stuff. It sounds like guys all over, not just the O's, are buying into this stuff. Brave new world and fascinating as hell.

Reading the article it names 7 other clubs in the Grapefruit league that are using advanced tech, but it mentions the Astro's as the pioneers. Better late than never I guess. The Orioles im sure used non HD video to analyze a pitchers windup go back decades, I would imagine, so any hopes of finding unseen flaws or glitches in a delivery at this point seem far fetched. You still need the right coach to correct such flaws. Something very possibly the Orioles have never had. 

5 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Reading the article it names 7 other clubs in the Grapefruit league that are using advanced tech, but it mentions the Astro's as the pioneers. Better late than never I guess. The Orioles im sure used non HD video to analyze a pitchers windup go back decades, I would imagine, so any hopes of finding unseen flaws or glitches in a delivery at this point seem far fetched. You still need the right coach to correct such flaws. Something very possibly the Orioles have never had. 

The Edgertronic cameras aren’t to see mechanical flaws, you can do that with an iPhone camera.

The purpose is getting enough frames to see exactly what’s happening when the ball leaves a pitcher’s hand on all their different pitches. The ability to show the pitcher what’s happening is a huge teaching tool and it also can provide a baseline for when a pitch is going well. So if the pitcher starts throwing a slurvy CB instead of the 12-6 hammer they used to throw, you have a blueprint on how to get it back.

It’s also a great tool when paired with Rapsodo spin and movement data for developing new pitches.

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The Edgertronic cameras aren’t to see mechanical flaws, you can do that with an iPhone camera.

The purpose is getting enough frames to see exactly what’s happening when the ball leaves a pitcher’s hand on all their different pitches. The ability to show the pitcher what’s happening is a huge teaching tool and it also can provide a baseline for when a pitch is going well. So if the pitcher starts throwing a slurvy CB instead of the 12-6 hammer they used to throw, you have a blueprint on how to get it back.

It’s also a great tool when paired with Rapsodo spin and movement data for developing new pitches.

Excellent info. 

The Phillies guest on Fangraphs's team preview podcast mentioned they'd hired a couple recently retired guys as "player information coordinators" for their minor league clubs.  Data coaches.

Something I'm not sure how far it is going to go is front office hiring.  Is it really inconceivable that a club wouldn't allocate say 80K as a data coach for every major league player?  

As exciting as it is that all this data will help play improve, I'm sure it'll be hard on labor peace as I don't think players will quietly share "credit" for their onfield performance with wonks (some of whom won't be ex-players).  I'm honestly not sure what's fair here.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Help explain Britton's sinker that even he doesn't understand.  IIRC someone taught him a 2-seamer or something that just came out of his hand weird and dropped. Developed into what he has today. 

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Help explain Britton's sinker that even he doesn't understand.  IIRC someone taught him a 2-seamer or something that just came out of his hand weird and dropped. Developed into what he has today. 

What I've heard is that pitchers almost always have a feeling of how the ball is coming out of their hand that is completely different from what's actually happening. So being able to see what's going on helps because now coaches can use cues that are tailored to what's actually happening. Also helps a pitcher's proprioception to calibrate what they feel with what's actually occurring. 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

The Phillies guest on Fangraphs's team preview podcast mentioned they'd hired a couple recently retired guys as "player information coordinators" for their minor league clubs.  Data coaches.

Something I'm not sure how far it is going to go is front office hiring.  Is it really inconceivable that a club wouldn't allocate say 80K as a data coach for every major league player?  

As exciting as it is that all this data will help play improve, I'm sure it'll be hard on labor peace as I don't think players will quietly share "credit" for their onfield performance with wonks (some of whom won't be ex-players).  I'm honestly not sure what's fair here.

Has the game improved for the fans? More strikeouts,games are slow and not that entertaining. Baseball knows they are in trouble.

It only takes a quick scroll through Twitter to see that the Orioles aren't alone. Reports of teams implementing advanced tech into their workouts have popped up across the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues already this spring, from Tigers camp, to Phillies, Yankees, Indians, Brewers, Pirates and Rangers camp, et al.

As exciting as all of this is, it doesn't seem an advantage the Orioles are gaining, as much as we are aligning with the rest of baseball. I'm hopeful there's some secret sauce left out that Elias wouldn't want our competition to know and that we will only discover after winning the WS. ?So great stuff Elias but keep innovating! 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

What I've heard is that pitchers almost always have a feeling of how the ball is coming out of their hand that is completely different from what's actually happening. So being able to see what's going on helps because now coaches can use cues that are tailored to what's actually happening. Also helps a pitcher's proprioception to calibrate what they feel with what's actually occurring. 

Cool, learned a new word today (OH spellchecker didn't even know it).

The unconscious perception of movement and spatial orientation arising from stimuli within the body itself.

Archived