Question: Is that Ryan Mountcastle at first base?

wildcard

I always figured 1B was his most likely ending spot due to his frame and good hands..  I don't think he has the foot speed for 2B or the arm to make up for the lack of speed. 

A lot of you are assuming he can play LF and be decent there.  I think that is a tall order considering he's never played the OF before, the throwing issues, and the mediocre foot speed.  Maybe he can become as good aa Mancini out there.  But is that really what you want? 

Certainly doesn't hurt to try him at 2B or LF, but i rather have an above average fielding first baseman than a poor fielding 2B or LF.  The bat will need to carry him either way. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I know sticking him at first may hurt his WAR or whatever with the positional adjustment, but I'm still happy to see this.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good post. Mancini says he likes DH’ing.  I know that isn’t the best for WAR but I think Mountcastle at 1B, and Mancini at DH, could be our OD 2020 lineup. 

I think you are misunderstanding how WAR works.    WAR does adjust according to defensive position, but it also evaluates how good the player is at that position. It’s quite possible for a guy who is a bad defensive 3B to have more value (as measured by WAR) as a good defensive 1B.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you are misunderstanding how WAR works.    WAR does adjust according to defensive position, but it also evaluates how good the player is at that position. It’s quite possible for a guy who is a bad defensive 3B to have more value (as measured by WAR) as a good defensive 1B.

It is possible but I think he'd have to be really bad at third. 

I'm not sure that Davis or Reynolds had more value at first.

I doubt Elias and crew are really projecting things like Trumbo being gone and a Mancini trade and all that. They are just putting the kid where he will be most valuable and let the chips fall where they may. Just like taking best player in a draft. Worry about the roster ramifications later. He can't play 3B and he'll probably be Mancini in LF. This is a good move. 

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

I doubt Elias and crew are really projecting things like Trumbo being gone and a Mancini trade and all that. They are just putting the kid where he will be most valuable and let the chips fall where they may. Just like taking best player in a draft. Worry about the roster ramifications later. He can't play 3B and he'll probably be Mancini in LF. This is a good move. 

IMO Elias is focused on 2022 when I think he projects the O's to contend.   So he is always looking forward.  On Trumbo, Mancini and everyone else.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I was hoping for Mountcastle to learn to play LF, but with the surplus of prospects in the outfield and dearth at first base, this makes sense. Hopefully first base is easier for him to pick up quickly, so he can focus on what he's really here to do: mash taters

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I always figured 1B was his most likely ending spot due to his frame and good hands..  I don't think he has the foot speed for 2B or the arm to make up for the lack of speed. 

A lot of you are assuming he can play LF and be decent there.  I think that is a tall order considering he's never played the OF before, the throwing issues, and the mediocre foot speed.  Maybe he can become as good aa Mancini out there.  But is that really what you want? 

Certainly doesn't hurt to try him at 2B or LF, but i rather have an above average fielding first baseman than a poor fielding 2B or LF.  The bat will need to carry him either way. 

I think Mountcastle is much more athletic than Mancini.

I'm not hating a 2020/2021 lineup that includes Diaz, Hays, Mountcastle, Mancini, Mullins/McKenna. Also wouldn't hate it if Villar was part of that lineup, but we really need some kind of impact at C, SS and 3B.

If only a FA could fill one of those holes. :)

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not hating a 2020/2021 lineup that includes Diaz, Hays, Mountcastle, Mancini, Mullins/McKenna. Also wouldn't hate it if Villar was part of that lineup, but we really need some kind of impact at C, SS and 3B.

I'm not hating it either...if they're producing.  

The thing about these guys is that it points to the O's system woes, there's not a surefire prospect in the bunch.  All of those guys have significant issues.

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Don't forget Rutschman :)

I wouldn't hate Villar being around either. I think he's going to quickly become one of my favorite players on this year's team. But we need to hope he plays like an all star for the first 3 months and we can add a few more to the farm in exchange. 

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Don't forget Rutschman :)

I wouldn't hate Villar being around either. I think he's going to quickly become one of my favorite players on this year's team. But we need to hope he plays like an all star for the first 3 months and we can add a few more to the farm in exchange. 

I will not get too attached to soon to be 28 year  Villar who can be a free agent after the 2020 season.   I think he gets trade in July if Elias can get something in return for him.     I'd be more incline to root for 25 year old Drew Jackson  playing 2B in August.

Archived