What can bring the fans back?

AceKing

1 hour ago, AceKing said:

This is a difficult question, obviously, and is likely a combination of many things, but a very important question.

I get a 13 gamer every year, and some days are better than others, but there has been a lack of energy at the stadium for the past 2 years it seems.  Maybe winning does cure all, but that is unlikely for a while.  New guys have to build new fans, and that will take time and hustle.

I am hoping they eventually take a page from the Ravens and lower concessions for everyone.

They need to improve the sound system and make the music and chants more fun and engaging...

Winning will obviously help...

I think its the other way around. The Orioles did in fact lower concession prices last year, well before the football season started.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I think its the other way around. The Orioles did in fact lower concession prices last year, well before the football season started.

The earlier Sun article I posted said as such:

In a statement, Orioles Executive Vice President John Angelos said the team is committed “to fan choice, diversity of local food offerings, and family-focused sizing and pricing.”

“Our front office team has embarked upon a mission to deliver the most progressive ticket, food, beverage, and merchandise value for the fan found anywhere in the professional sports and entertainment world, all presented within America’s favorite sports destination.

The Orioles also say fans will see reduced pricing on merchandise around the park. Jerseys will cost 25 percent less, player t-shirts will be 12 percent less, and New Era on-field hats will be 30 percent less than in 2017, the Orioles said in a news release.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, this is about where I am.  I can afford it, I just don't want to.

Watching on a 65 inch high def flatscreen with my own food and having the rest of my day is a better experience than battling traffic, parking and sweating my nuts off at OPACY.  I get it if there are people who love to go to games, etc, that's fine.  But I've been well over 100 times, I don't feel the need to go anymore.  

I’m not a big fan of fighting traffic to get to games, but there’s nothing I’d rather do on a summer evening than see a game at OPACY.    TV doesn’t compare IMO.

I think the “small kids go free” move was a brilliant idea that will pay long term dividends.    Gotta get them while they’re young.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not a big fan of fighting traffic to get to games, but there’s nothing I’d rather do on a summer evening than see a game at OPACY.    TV doesn’t compare IMO.

I think the “small kids go free” move was a brilliant idea that will pay long term dividends.    Gotta get them while they’re young.    

if the MAGLEV ever gets installed, it should be a very fast trip from DC to Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I shouldn’t answer this question, because I’ve never even been to Baltimore in my life, and my wife has no interest in going, or in letting me go. Having said that, I will be happy if the team shows progress, if the decisions are logical, and if the baseball is clean. I was also incredibly disappointed when they got rid of the traditional beer. And the hotdogs are gone to, that’s just terrible. I was looking forward to both when I finally make my first trip.

If you’ve never been to Baltimore why would you even care about Eskay and Natty boh? Also, why won’t your wife let you go to Baltimore?

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

if the MAGLEV ever gets installed, it should be a very fast trip from DC to Baltimore.

Speed of the trip isn't the issue.  You can take a train now from Greenbelt to OPACY pretty quickly.  The issue is the employee's union requires that they quit working at a time that is before the game ends.  Or at least that was the case a few years back.  I remember we took the train one time and were dismayed to find that we had to leave in the 7th inning or so to avoid being stranded in Baltimore.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Speed of the trip isn't the issue.  You can take a train now from Greenbelt to OPACY pretty quickly.  The issue is the employee's union requires that they quit working at a time that is before the game ends.  Or at least that was the case a few years back.  I remember we took the train one time and were dismayed to find that we had to leave in the 7th inning or so to avoid being stranded in Baltimore.

Being from Bethesda and working in DC, the train isn’t a good alternative on the return trip.   It takes me 90-120 minutes to drive to OPACY at rush hour, but only 40 minutes to return home.    I might save time on the train going to the game, but it would take way longer on the way back.    And when the games are ending at 10:15-11:00 pm, that time on the return trip is important.   

1 hour ago, atomic said:

As for #2 I don't hot dogs so I can't tell you if Esskay hot dogs are any way superior/inferior to other hot dogs but for #1:

National Bohemian was a beer brand that had stopped brewing.  Pabst bought the name.  Pabst is not a brewer. It does not make beer.  It is a marketing company.  It contracts out the brewing to Miller Brewing.  Miller Brews a bunch of these regional beers for Pabst. They aren't using the original formula.  What all the beers have in common is they are absolutely terrible (not that the original was very good).  The Nattie Boh isn't even a beer its a diuretic.  I wouldn't drink if it were given to me for free.  And I am not a beer snob.  

What did make me upset though was the removal of the Belgium beer stand. You could get Leffe blonde on tap as well as Hoegarden.  Two beers I enjoy and Leffe is not on tap many places. 

The other thing I miss  was the removal of the Korean Taco place.  

If anyone wants a Baltimore baseball food experience I would go to Boog's Barbecue.  Boog is often there signing autographs and you can get your pit turkey or pit beef and throw some horse radish and onions on it and actually enjoy your food.  

Also they have the Flying Dog stand that has beers made in Maryland. Most of their beers are too hoppy for my palate but they do have an agave cerveza that is pretty good.  They also have a beer made with Old Bay in it that isnt' too bad. 

I'm with you 100% on the Korean Taco place, that was my favorite.

Agree on Natty Boh, but the brand has sentimental value to some.   Honestly, back in the early 80s when I first started getting beer at the stadium (drinking age was 18 but it was a laxer time and they started serving me at 16 or 17 years old)... the most common beer there was National Premium.   That was another beer that was, at the time, brewed in Baltimore.   It was pretty much swill too.   But somehow it never developed the cult following that Natty Boh did.   It didn't have a cute mascot I guess.

Decent beer selection now at OPACY, including a bunch of local brewers like Union Craft, Key, Monument City.   They aren't advertised/displayed well, you have to go to a stand that might feature Flying Dog or something else prominently and look at the other selections available.   You just have to wander the stadium a bit the first game you go to and scope out the good locations.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Being from Bethesda and working in DC, the train isn’t a good alternative on the return trip.   It takes me 90-120 minutes to drive to OPACY at rush hour, but only 40 minutes to return home.    I might save time on the train going to the game, but it would take way longer on the way back.    And when the games are ending at 10:15-11:00 pm, that time on the return trip is important.   

Have you ever tried the Light Rail? I come from Leesburg VA or Reston VA and park at North Linthicum. Light rail ride is about 30 min either way but your car is at the Beltway and BW Parkway so clean drive home

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I'm with you 100% on the Korean Taco place, that was my favorite.

Agree on Natty Boh, but the brand has sentimental value to some.   Honestly, back in the early 80s when I first started getting beer at the stadium (drinking age was 18 but it was a laxer time and they started serving me at 16 or 17 years old)... the most common beer there was National Premium.   That was another beer that was, at the time, brewed in Baltimore.   It was pretty much swill too.   But somehow it never developed the cult following that Natty Boh did.   It didn't have a cute mascot I guess.

Decent beer selection now at OPACY, including a bunch of local brewers like Union Craft, Key, Monument City.   They aren't advertised/displayed well, you have to go to a stand that might feature Flying Dog or something else prominently and look at the other selections available.   You just have to wander the stadium a bit the first game you go to and scope out the good locations.

When I used to hang out at the Mt Royal Tavern all the art school kids drank National Premium Dark.  Cheap but they could pretend they were drinking Guiness. 

3 hours ago, AceKing said:

Agreed with many on here that the beer and food does not matter if it has a local flavor or ties....it matters if it tastes good and doesn’t break you.

We always look for the best food in the yard, and it has been a struggle recently.

The Bacon on a stick might be the best thing.  Only available on Eutaw Street.

The Chippers used to be good, but they changed from fresh Kettle chips to bagged chips as the base.  Most of the toppings are still very good.

Nachos should stay forever, and allow the opportunity to load them up with extra cheese or salsa and jalapeños...

The O's have allowed fans to bring your own food for some time. We don't load up on the concession stand stuff, though I almost always have one hot dog. Our family has picked up a box of chicken quite a few times, often from that local chain that doubles as a convenience store like Sheetz (don't know why I'm blanking on it - but I'm not from MD). And we've brought  our own water in but leave room to buy a beer or sometimes a mixed drink from that rooftop bar. 

Archived