Who's In Control?

TonySoprano

With Orioles' owner Peter Angelos in declining health, Major League Baseball has asked the team to inform it by June who is in control of the club, according to multiple sources.

The request is the strongest signal yet that the Orioles are transitioning from the leadership of Angelos, 89, who is no longer able to run the team.

What the league dubs a “control person” is likely to be one of his sons, John or Louis, and the appointment will require formal approval of the baseball club owners.

MLB has said it would like the Orioles to name the new executive before the next club owners meeting in June, according to two officials.
Several sources cautioned that naming a control person is not the same as designating the ultimate successor to Angelos as principal owner.

The latter is part of estate planning that the Angelos family has kept private, saying it would be premature to comment.

“As far as succession, the league wants to know things are in order,” one source said. “But succession doesn’t happen until there is a succession event.”

The sources interviewed include some with direct knowledge of the Orioles’ situation, and one outside the team.

The family and the team declined interviews on who would be the control person.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-angelos-control-20190221-story.html

MLB wants to know who is in charge.  Usually it is the majority shareholder, but it doesn't have to be.  What is odd about this situation is that Louis has attended MLB ownership meetings with his father.  I know that MLB has to vote on who this person is, but this seems like it could potentially be another way for MLB to get at the Orioles for the whole MASN situation.  Maybe not, maybe it's face value that they want a point person who is in charge, and I would certainly agree with that from a business perspective.  

The whole succession plan is of huge interest to me, as it should be for many Orioles fans.  If MLB is asking for this step to be taken, they must have a leak from somewhere in the Orioles organization or Orioles umbrella (meaning MASN, the law office or any related charities or foundations) that things are not looking good for Peter Angelos.  I know that the shares of ownership could be transferred to his wife, but she is 76 and would only stall the sons eventually needing to pony up the tax money when it comes time to deal with either Peter or Georgia's estate.  

While it most certainly is a new beginning for Orioles fans in the Elias era, there is a dark cloud in the horizon that could be here sooner than we all expect and the uncertainty of a new ownership group.......who could love what Mike Elias is doing, but could also decide they want their own people in charge and reset things again.  

I dunno, this seems like a manufactured controversy to me.  It's pretty dang obvious that Lou and John are in charge and running the team.  I get MLB wanting to have something officially documented, but the media articles (and this thread title - sorry OP) smack of sensationalism.  Almost as if, "Hey, the O's have seemed pretty dang competent for the last 4 months, time to run another article to show everyone how dysfunctional they are!"

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

I dunno, this seems like a manufactured controversy to me.  It's pretty dang obvious that Lou and John are in charge and running the team.  I get MLB wanting to have something officially documented, but the media articles (and this thread title - sorry OP) smack of sensationalism.  Almost as if, "Hey, the O's have seemed pretty dang competent for the last 4 months, time to run another article to show everyone how dysfunctional they are!"

I agree, everybody knows Lou and John are in charge, and one of them was at the last owner's meeting.

I find it mildly amusing that MLB is claiming to be concerned with the Orioles, where there is so much really wrong with baseball and needs their real attention.

18 minutes ago, esmd said:

MLB requires that there be one designated representative with final decision making authority for every team.    That’s been Peter, but it seems he’s not capable anymore.  So, somehow they need to pick between John and Lou, both of whom are active in the team’s affairs.

This doesn’t need to be a big deal unless the Angelos family makes it one.     Last year the Nats switched their designated representative from Ted Lerner to Mark Lerner.    Mark was interviewed and said it would make little difference, because the Lerner family would continue to make decisions by consensus, just as they always had.   The handover got one day of press coverage and that was that.   

Archived