Núñez vs. Ruiz

Frobby

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My replies above

I really can’t see them playing Nunez at 3rd after bringing in Iglesias. There is just no evidence he can handle it. If they are really trying to help the pitching out. 

I think Smith is playing himself off the team. 

Agree on Williams.

Agree on Mountcastle. Would be a shock to see Ryan make the team out of the gate. Who knows how Nunez/Davis are playing by mid May. Just worry about fitting him in later. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I really can’t see them playing Nunez at 3rd after bringing in Iglesias. There is just no evidence he can handle it. If they are really trying to help the pitching out. 

I think Smith is playing himself off the team. 

Agree on Williams.

Agree on Mountcastle. Would be a shock to see Ryan make the team out of the gate. Who knows how Nunez/Davis are playing by mid May. Just worry about fitting him in later. 

Why? What makes you think Ruiz, who was a subpar defender as well, is so much better overall when Nunez brings an impact bat vs Ruiz's AAA bat? I would agree if all things are equal I'd rather have a better defender out there, but Nunez can at least hit and the Orioles will need DH open when Mountcastle arrives since Davis, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, and Nunez all need to be in the lineup somewhere.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It's only spring training, but some things I think I think (apologies to Peter King of Sports Illustrated):

1. Nunez should never play 3B in a real game.

2. Dwight Smith Jr. should never play in a ML outfield in a real game.

3. Trey Mancini should play at his natural position - 1B.  Related point, if Davis is going to play, rotate him between 1B and DH with Mancini and Nunez.

4. Our fourth outfielder should be an actual outfielder, not an infielder, and be able to play in center.

5. The O's should bite the bullet and send Mountcastle north to play LF.  Still time, but I think he's our best option there.

I don't get what he brings to the table that Mason Williams doesn't.  I guess a bit more power but Williams can actually play a ball off the bat. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Why? What makes you think Ruiz, who was a subpar defender as well, is so much better overall when Nunez brings an impact bat vs Ruiz's AAA bat? I would agree if all things are equal I'd rather have a better defender out there, but Nunez can at least hit and the Orioles will need DH open when Mountcastle arrives since Davis, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, and Nunez all need to be in the lineup somewhere.

I think Nunez is pretty poor at 3rd. If can play there it makes sense. Another throwing error today and his arm was hurting last year. Ruiz glove to me was solid not special I will say that.

I don’t pay much attention to spring stats but his defense so far has major concerns. Watched the game Saturday and he was lobbing the ball to 1st.  

5 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I don't get what he brings to the table that Mason Williams doesn't.  I guess a bit more power but Williams can actually play a ball off the bat. 

I would be surprised if Smith makes the team. If Davis is going to play then that means Mancini in the OF. Hays and Santander need to play. I don’t think he is a good fit but we shall see. 

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Sorry for a late response, but I jumped back to read a bit.

I'm pretty sure 2 of those three played together a lot more than a handful of times.  But I admit, I didn't look it up.  ?

Are we talking about 1989, or in general?    Obviously, Brady and Devereaux played a lot of games together in the OF over the years.    In 1989, though, not so much.   Brady started 65 games in CF and had no starts as a corner OF.    Devo started 72 games in CF and 25 games in RF.    So at a maximum, they started 25 games together in the OF, but it’s probably something less than that.     Brady played as a sub in 14 games, Devo as a sub in 22.    They probably were in the field together in a lot of those, but only for an inning or two.    

OF starts by the O’s in ‘89:

Bradley 138 (all in LF)

Orsulak 99 (80 RF, 19 LF)

Devereaux 97 (72 CF, 25 RF)

Anderson 65 (all in CF)

Finley 54 (3 LF, 18 CF, 33 RF)

Jefferson 32 (1 LF, 7 CF, 24 RF)

B. Davis 1 (LF)

Anderson, Devereaux and Finley never started a game together that year, and the three were only on the field together at any time in the game in 7 of the 162 games.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are we talking about 1989, or in general?    Obviously, Brady and Devereaux played a lot of games together in the OF over the years.    In 1989, though, not so much.   Brady started 65 games in CF and had no starts as a corner OF.    Devo started 72 games in CF and 25 games in RF.    So at a maximum, they started 25 games together in the OF, but it’s probably something less than that.     Brady played as a sub in 14 games, Devo as a sub in 22.    They probably were in the field together in a lot of those, but only for an inning or two.    

Bradley 138 (all in LF)

Anderson 65 (all in CF)

B. Davis 1 (LF)

Brady was such a poor hitter didnt play much until 1992. 

I think for me Finley stands out because of his catch on Opening Day when he got hurt. Saw that play a million times on the Why Not video. I would have guessed he played in more games that year

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Brady was such a poor hitter didnt play much until 1992. 

I think for me Finley stands out because of his catch on Opening Day when he got hurt. Saw that play a million times on the Why Not video. I would have guessed he played in more games that year

I have to admit, I completely forgot Stan Jefferson was on that team.   He was traded to the O’s in late July, brought up in early August and started about half the games the rest of the year.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I have to admit, I completely forgot Stan Jefferson was on that team.   He was traded to the O’s in late July, brought up in early August and started about half the games the rest of the year.    

I remember him.

He made a crazy dive/slide at home on a play I think vs Yankees. I found it here on the Why Not song video. At 36 second mark.

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bradley 138 (all in LF)

Anderson 65 (all in CF)

B. Davis 1 (LF)

Anderson, Devereaux and Finley never started a game together that year, and the three were only on the field together at any time in the game in 7 of the 162 games.

I think you missed Foxfield's little joke: that "Brady" and "Anderson" (see the post he was reacting to) probably did play more than a handful of games together--in any and every season you may want to bring up. ?

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I think you missed Foxfield's little joke: that "Brady" and "Anderson" (see the post he was reacting to) probably did play more than a handful of games together--in any and every season you want to bring up. ?

You’re right, I missed the comma between “Brady” and “Anderson” so I completely misinterpreted foxfield’s joke.    I thought he was simply saying that even though the three young outfielders may not have played simultaneously much, Anderson and Devereaux (eventually) did.    

Even though I missed the joke entirely, it’s interesting to revisit that season and realize that the three young guys, or even two of them, didn’t play together all that often, at least in 1989.    But I’d guess that Anderson was in the OF for at least 500-600 games of the 878 Devo eventually played as an Oriole.   

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

My replies above

Tony, I knew you'd come to Nunez's defense!  ? 

I just don't believe in defensive metrics - all that much.  Markakis was better than they said and Nunez is pretty brutal, in my opinion.  He's a DH.

The problem is well known, the one guy that clogs up the roster and complicates everything.  Dump him and his wind aided spring training home runs and the situation gets cleared up pretty quickly.  And, yeah, not happening.

As to Mountcastle, I've decided that Corn is right and that we'll have six years to deal with any situation that arises with his control.  He's not Acuna.  Having said that, I'm willing to wait a few weeks if that's what they want to carry a lesser player north until they get the seventh year.  A seventh year that a new CBA might do away with, by the way.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Tony, I knew you'd come to Nunez's defense!  ? 

I just don't believe in defensive metrics - all that much.  Markakis was better than they said and Nunez is pretty brutal, in my opinion.  He's a DH.

The problem is well known, the one guy that clogs up the roster and complicates everything.  Dump him and his wind aided spring training home runs and the situation gets cleared up pretty quickly.  And, yeah, not happening.

As to Mountcastle, I've decided that Corn is right and that we'll have six years to deal with any situation that arises with his control.  He's not Acuna.  Having said that, I'm willing to wait a few weeks if that's what they want to carry a lesser player north until they get the seventh year.  A seventh year that a new CBA might do away with, by the way.

Well I hate to defend his defense, because I honestly do think his throwing is pretty bad (his footwork was awful on the throw I saw yesterday that was low), but I'd still rather have him over there if that means he, Mountcastle, Mancini, and Santander all stay in the lineup. 

Yes, obviously not playing Davis would free that up, but it seems they have every intention of playing the newly recreated incredible hulk at first base full time.

Nunez only had 64 Innings at 3rd in 2019, compared to 1000+ combined, in 2018-2019. Its early in ST. He’s a little rusty, and he had the shoulder injury last year. 

If there was ever a team to find out if Nunez can “play” passable defense at 3B, it’s this one. 30+ HR buys you lots of opportunities. What’s he going to do, cost us a playoff spot?

18 hours ago, foxfield said:

Sorry for a late response, but I jumped back to read a bit.

I'm pretty sure 2 of those three played together a lot more than a handful of times.  But I admit, I didn't look it up.  ?

1989 Orioles starting lineups.

They (Anderson, Finley, Devereaux) actually never started a game together in 1989.  Mainly because Phil Bradley started 138 games in left.  Finley was the only one of the three to start in left at all, and that was just three games.

It would be more challenging to go through box scores and see if they played together later in games after subs.