Elias: I am very accustomed to having a top 10, top 5 farm system

wildcard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a great interview.  Have to love that he is secure enough in his position to offer compliments of DD for the deadline deals and of the former scouting guys for the recent first round pitchers - even though the system is not great.  I thought he comes across as a pretty straight shooter.  

I don't think we will be a top 10 farm system for at least two years.  Now during these next two years, we will have the most to spend of pretty much any team in baseball.  That would be a core reason (combined with our two most recent drafts) to hope we are near top 10 entering Opening Day 2021.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's hold guys back that deserve promotion simply to pad the farm rankings I will be very upset.

I don't see any way that this is done for that reason.  I could see one or two guys manipulated for service time though.  However, creating a pipeline of talent is the only way to really improve the Orioles ranking of minor league talent.  I don't care what the ranking is next year.  I want to see the Orioles begin to win and STILL have a top 10 ranking.  That is the only way to build a winner that can last more than a short window.  

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know, but atomic isn't allowed to enjoy any of it.

But I agree with @waroriole, if Diaz, Hays and maybe even Mountcastle are ready to play this year...play em.  That's what this year and next year are are all about, getting these kids experience.  

It's NOT about holding down players just to say we've got a stacked farm system.  

Or for service time because none of those guys are Vlad Jr or Kris Bryant prospect level.

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know, but atomic isn't allowed to enjoy any of it.

But I agree with @waroriole, if Diaz, Hays and maybe even Mountcastle are ready to play this year...play em.  That's what this year and next year are are all about, getting these kids experience.  

It's NOT about holding down players just to say we've got a stacked farm system.  

I agree with you. Play those guys. It's not right to hold them back.

The thing I take from this is Elias may see some talent in the system but he wants more and isn't lying to himself or fans about it not being to his standards.  Elias and Hyde are what has me excited for baseball this year.  We may not see the results on the field this year but I think we will slowly start to see the beginning of the new Oriole way.

45 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

Or for service time because none of those guys are Vlad Jr or Kris Bryant prospect level.

I do not think a player needs to be an expected superstar for service time to come into play.    If the player projects to be an everyday guy, the type of player who, once called up, has a good chance never to go back to the minors again, then there is clearly value in having that player’s services for 6.9 seasons rather than 6.0.    Of course, it usually turns out that there are fewer of those players than we think there are.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do not think a player needs to be an expected superstar for service time to come into play.    If the player projects to be an everyday guy, the type of player who, once called up, has a good chance never to go back to the minors again, then there is clearly value in having that player’s services for 6.9 seasons rather than 6.0.    Of course, it usually turns out that there are fewer of those players than we think there are.    

Diaz and Hays are the only prospects anyones really talking about breaking camp, I could be wrong on Elias thinking on these two and what his plans for the opening day OF. But I think Stewart and Rickard with Mancini occasionally, will be the corner OF's opening day. 

11 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Diaz and Hays are the only prospects anyones really talking about breaking camp, I could be wrong on Elias thinking on these two and what his plans for the opening day OF. But I think Stewart and Rickard with Mancini occasionally, will be the corner OF's opening day. 

Diaz and Hays would be the only ones I would say it would be worth worrying about holding them down for  the 3 weeks or whatever even if we thought they were ready right now. Basically anyone in our top 5 prospects. Guys like Stewart, Mullins, or whoever below that I don't think it's worth worrying about, but for top 5 guys it's not really that big of a deal to hold them down for 3 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Diaz and Hays would be the only ones I would say it would be worth worrying about holding them down for  the 3 weeks or whatever even if we thought they were ready right now. Basically anyone in our top 5 prospects. Guys like Stewart, Mullins, or whoever below that I don't think it's worth worrying about, but for top 5 guys it's not really that big of a deal to hold them down for 3 weeks.

I thought it was more like 10 weeks, like mid way through June. If its only 3 weeks then I would have no doubts they'll be held back.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you want to pay that type of player Arb 3 and Arb 4 prices?

5 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I don't see an overall ranking for 2019.  Am I blind?

I did see that they had Mancini at first over Mountcastle.  I hope Mountcastle is the superior defender.

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I thought it was more like 10 weeks, like mid way through June. If its only 3 weeks then I would have no doubts they'll be held back.

It’s about two weeks for Diaz, six weeks for Hays because of the time he accrued in Sept. 2017.

June relates to eventually being a Super-2 and eligible for arbitration after 2+ seasons.   It doesn’t relate to free agency. 

Archived