Maybe we are better than we think.

tntoriole

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Talk to me in 2021.

This is about where I am.  

I don't look at us being 4th with the number of prospects ready to help in '19 and '20 as a good thing or a bad thing.  It's just a snapshot in time of where this franchise happens to stand, which is at the beginning of a rebuild.  In other words, there's no choice but to have that amount of young players ready to go over the next couple of years.  We aren't going to be signing a lot of free agents, that doesn't make sense.  

We need these kids to step up.  I'm encouraged so far by Hays and Diaz this spring.

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I thought this was going to be about this year's team. I think this team is better than many expect but will fall short in the starting pitching department especially.

Well when only losing 99 games is better than expected we’re not exactly talking the 1970 Orioles.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is about where I am.  

I don't look at us being 4th with the number of prospects ready to help in '19 and '20 as a good thing or a bad thing.  It's just a snapshot in time of where this franchise happens to stand, which is at the beginning of a rebuild.  In other words, there's no choice but to have that amount of young players ready to go over the next couple of years.  We aren't going to be signing a lot of free agents, that doesn't make sense.  

We need these kids to step up.  I'm encouraged so far by Hays and Diaz this spring.

Mountcastle has been more patient.

Hays can make a huge turn around to the way some see the farm system.  He is the one guy that I believe has the tools to be a top 20 guy.  I think people underrated the injury issues he had he never seem to get healthy and knock the rust off when he was playing.  I find it interesting that he dropped all the way down when you have a few other guys with major injuries still sitting near the top like Honeywell who had major surgery for a pitcher.  There have been a bunch guys after an injury never show anything like they were before like Bundy Reyes from the Cardinals as well and even Harvey.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hays can make a huge turn around to the way some see the farm system.  He is the one guy that I believe has the tools to be a top 20 guy.  I think people underrated the injury issues he had he never seem to get healthy and knock the rust off when he was playing.  I find it interesting that he dropped all the way down when you have a few other guys with major injuries still sitting near the top like Honeywell who had major surgery for a pitcher.  There have been a bunch guys after an injury never show anything like they were before like Bundy Reyes from the Cardinals as well and even Harvey.

It is more than just the injuries, he didn't look good in 2017 when he got called up.

The landscape would be different in The AL Central. The expected Orioles 2019 record vs MFY & BOS  is ~ 11-27. Maybe the 2019 Orioles could feign competing in a different division, but not in this year's AL East, especially considering the talent in Tampa.

50 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Here's a thought. The odds are none of the current starters will be here in 2021. That means you have to build an entire rotation.

Even though they are all in the minors, I am much more optimistic about our 2021 pitching than our position players. Hall, Kremer, and Akin appear to be pretty good bets to be decent MLB pitchers. Plus you have Harvey if healthy, and Gray Rod with top of the rotation upside, and Lowther, Knight, Ortiz, and Tate all with at least back end potential. I am much more concerned about the total lack of infield prospects.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Interesting article about Pipeline grades across MLB systems...

Our system ranked 1st in the grades given to sliders thrown in the farm system and 4th in MLB in number of prospect with ETA to the bigs in 2019-2020 with 20. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/breaking-down-the-top-prospect-lists

Is that because there is some talent there? Or just because we traded so many vets that some young guys will have to play?

edit: And now reading the whole thread I see Moose said essentially the same thing.

Archived