Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde says he is open to it.  But not much detail to this point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-opener-brandon-hyde-20190226-story,amp.html

"What they did last year [in Tampa Bay] with it, they had a bunch of good arms with options that kind of went out of the box and did the opener and did different things," Hyde said. "I think clubs are more open to being creative in that sense, since you saw some teams have success with it.

"I think an ideal situation is you want to have five starters, five healthy starters, and you roll with it with some depth. But not every club is built like that. I think this spring, we're going to kind of see what our back-end of our rotation kind of looks like, see the arms that we have, then evaluate it from there."

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Hays hits all spring, he deserves a spot on the OD roster.  He struggled last year, but he had injuries.

I don't disagree that he should.  But there's always the service time consideration.  Unfortunately with him, it means he stays down even longer than others may.

Mullins has already been here once, let him continue to develop at the big league level since his service clock is already well in place.  I'd imagine this regime is considering those factors when they make decisions on the roster.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This all could change but here is a snapshot as of today races

1B: Mancini has the lead over Davis with Nunez also able to play there.  Davis will see time at first but is looking like a bench player.

2B  Villar backed up by Jackson

SS: Martin backed up by Jackson

3B:  Ruiz platooned with Jackson

Catcher: Sisco backed up by one of  Perez, Wynns, Susac or Sucre

LF: Stewart.  Mancini plays here when not playing 1B.

CF: Hays is leading Mullins

RF: Rickard     

OF backups are Mancini and Jackson

DH:  Trumbo if healthy.  If not Nunez or Santander

That leaves one position player position open for Nunez, Escobar, Mullins, Young or Santander

Starter:  Cobb, Bundy Cashner  with Hess, Wright, Rogers, Ramirez, Means and Yacabonis fighting for th e 4th and 5th spots

Relievers:  Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry. Kline. Araujo, and a long reliever from the starter competition.    Karns and Scott prime contenders to replace Araujo after 17 days.  Scotts control problems are why I put Kline ahead of him.

Just my take.   What do you see?

Good Good good ,  ive heard of a few of these guys.  

1 minute ago, MarCakes21 said:

I don't disagree that he should.  But there's always the service time consideration.  Unfortunately with him, it means he stays down even longer than others may.

Mullins has already been here once, let him continue to develop at the big league level since his service clock is already well in place.  I'd imagine this regime is considering those factors when they make decisions on the roster.

I'm not worried whether or not he becomes an FA in 2024 or 2025, or whenever.  

We'll see how this regime approaches the service clock issue.

9 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Every player in camp knows that Hays has out played Mullins so far. And its not close.   If that continues what kind of  message does it send to the other players to keep Mullins and send  Hays down?

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not worried whether or not he becomes an FA in 2024 or 2025, or whenever.  

We'll see how this regime approaches the service clock issue.

I don't understand why a responsible GM wouldn't worry.  Even if you don't care about the ability to retain the player at year 7, the shortened control impacts that player's value to other teams as well.

If you want to trade Diaz for a stud pitching prospect or two in a few years, that extra year is worth extra trade chips.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

My guess is Escobar takes the spot you’ve listed for Jackson. Mullins stays at CF with it being a tossup between Hays, Santander, and Rickard for RF. DH would hopefully be Núñez assuming Trumbo isn’t healthy to the start the year and if not DH I think Núñez should be at 1B ahead of Davis. I think that’s unlikely unfortunately. I think Mancini says in the OF this year and possibly moves to DH/1B next year after Trumbo is gone which will also make room  for the influx of young OF options right around the corner.

I wasn't too upset about signing Escobar on a minor league deal as an insurance policy, but if the Rule V guys look even close to him in production, I'll be pretty upset if one gets returned for Escobar. 

8 minutes ago, MouncastleandMcCormick said:

I don't understand why a responsible GM wouldn't worry.  Even if you don't care about the ability to retain the player at year 7, the shortened control impacts that player's value to other teams as well.

If you want to trade Diaz for a stud pitching prospect or two in a few years, that extra year is worth extra trade chips.

Wouldn't be so quick to be so certain over this.  CBA expires Dec 1 2021.  Hopefully much of this system is changing.  It seems teams went into this off season with an assumption that the DH will be standard, Im sure they have some hunches or expectations of the next CBA.  With a team this young with so many losses ahead of them for at least two years, it makes sense to reward hard work and success as Wildcard mentioned above me....the talent has got to see a step up if they succeed and the best culture is one where any man in system can earn a spot if they are good enough.  

Fun game to play, but it’s way too early to make these judgments.   One thing I’ve noticed is that the O’s are giving Diaz a very hard look.   He leads the team in at bats and is starting again today.    It doesn’t seem likely he’ll make the team, but he may not be down very long, either.    

9 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

I wasn't too upset about signing Escobar on a minor league deal as an insurance policy, but if the Rule V guys look even close to him in production, I'll be pretty upset if one gets returned for Escobar. 

Escobar is coming off a year where he OPS'd .593 and had a -14 glove.  And that's not way out of line with his last half decade of work.  He should be in camp in case none of the other options look anything like major league players.  If they look passable he gets some nice parting gifts and maybe an invite for a summer in Norfolk.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Nunez defense makes him questionable for making the team.  I have him competing for the 25th man.  If he makes it he could play 3B/1B/DH.  Nunez is also in competition for the DH if Trumbo goes on the DL.

At the beginning of ST I agreed that Hays should go to the minors.  But Mullins has shown no offense while Hays has both hit and fielded well in center.  So its as much about Mullins not hitting as anything.  If he hits in the 2nd half of ST Mullins could take back center and send Hays to the minors.

I think this is wishful thinking and you are reading a little too much into Spring Training stats, and not even two weeks in.  It's not an impossibility, but it would be a huge surprise if it unfolded this way with Mullins getting sent back to the minors. 

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Every player in camp knows that Hays has out played Mullins so far. And its not close.   If that continues what kind of  message does it send to the other players to keep Mullins and send  Hays down?

I think if camp broke today with Mullins over Hays it would say that management isn’t going to place a disproportionate amount of weight on approximately 5 games worth of at bats in late February and early March when making decisions that are best for both the team and player development.

19 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I think if camp broke today with Mullins over Hays it would say that management isn’t going to place a disproportionate amount of weight on approximately 5 games worth of at bats in late February and early March when making decisions that are best for both the team and player development.

Also Hyde on early Spring Training stats:

“Still really early,” Hyde said. “I’ve been around long enough to know that you can take only so much stock in spring training. I’ve seen guys have unbelievable spring trainings, hit a ton of homers and start the year 2-for-30 and never get back to the big leagues, or guys being lights out in spring training on the mound and really struggling when the season starts. Or vice-versa.

“More times than not probably vice-versa, where guys have poor camps but are really, really good players. Just for some reason don’t have very good spring trainings. So I’m aware of all that kind of stuff.

“I don’t want to put too much stock into the results, but I am putting a lot of stock in showing their stuff and showing their aggressiveness, the kind of at-bats we take offensively, how they run the bases.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/this-that-and-the-other-174.html

Archived