Fangraphs’ team positional rankings

Frobby

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I did notice on the right tail of the chart it says BAL 29th before PIT but in the text of the story it has the Pirates ahead of us.

For AL Only leagues, Richie Martin is skyrocketing following Escobar's release though - is anyone else at all going to play SS for us this year?

5 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I did notice on the right tail of the chart it says BAL 29th before PIT but in the text of the story it has the Pirates ahead of us.

For AL Only leagues, Richie Martin is skyrocketing following Escobar's release though - is anyone else at all going to play SS for us this year?

Tied for 29th really....or tied for 30th

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just added RF (27th) and starting pitching (30th).

I liked their comment on Joey Rickard: “He is mostly there because it is frowned upon not to field a full nine.”

Rule 4.17: A game shall be forfeited to the opposing team when a team is unable or refuses to place nine players on the field.

These rankings suggest an exciting race for MVO, with the dynamic OF trio of Mancini, Mullins and Rickard the pre-season favorites (especially with Hays out of the picture for a while) -- but that's not including some of the outstanding pitchers we'll be seeing. 

Play Ball, I guess.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Finally:  bullpen, 20th.   Our best showing at any spot.    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-positional-power-rankings-bullpen-no-16-30/

The Orioles' bullpen is not good.  Does anyone actually believe the pen will be better than the Red Sox?  I think this shows the limitations of using cumulative WAR for bullpen predictions.  They'd probably be better off ranking everyone by some combination of K rate and K:BB ratio.

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Frobby said:

Fangraphs has started a daily post on positional rankings at the different positions.    I guess nobody is surprised that the Orioles were ranked 30th at 1B yesterday, with Davis occupying the position.    But I was somewhat surprised to see the O’s also ranked 30th at 2B today.    They’re projecting us at a collective 1.0 fWAR at 2B, led by Villar at 0.9.    

2B — 30th https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-positional-power-rankings-second-base/

Yeah, this analysis didn’t age very well.    

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, this analysis didn’t age very well.    

It was probably better than the bullpen ranking #20th in the Fangraphs poll, but might not be in the top 50 bullpens in all professional baseball.  They said 20th, the O's said "Ha!  We're going to allow the most runs of any bullpen ever!"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’d love to see a total redo of the concessions. The food for the most part sucks. The concessions are ridiculously priced for the offering both in quality and portion. I know they have discounts and stuff for “Birdland Memberships” season ticket plans. My company has tickets but they isn’t anyway to bestow the discounts to the folks using the tickets. Just price the stuff fairly to begin with an quit all of the game playing. I feel like I’m at Kohls with my wife leveraging Kohls Cash to get a fair price for something.
    • Here's how some other Oriole prospects have fared in Aberdeen.  Cowser .795 Kjerstad .674 Mayo .821 Henderson .775 Westburg .858 I would say Bradfield is doing pretty well at the moment. 
    • Schedule starts to become conducive to increased attendance. You have Seattle the next 2 games(Sat and Sun), then the next 4 home stands( which brings us to All Star break) are as follows, week of Memorial day Boston and Tampa on the weekend, but with the holiday basically 4 weekend dates. Then Atlanta followed by Philly on the weekend, should be the best week of the year so far. Then a 7 game week of Cleveland with a 4 game weekend series against Texas. Finally The Cubs come to town followed by weekend against the  Yankees. Should be good.
    • It’s not like Elias and Sig have been reliant solely upon top 5 picks. Wasn’t Westburg 1:30 and Mayo something like a 3rd rounder?  If Bradfield happened to be a pitcher, I would most certainly share your concerns. Because this front office has no track record in drafting and developing pitching, for the most part they haven’t even really tried. But the position players, for now I think they have that covered in spades. Bradfield hasn’t even had a half of a seasons to adjust to professional baseball. Rare is the player like Holliday, who just begins like a whirlwind and doesn’t stop until he gets to the big leagues.  Not that I’m telling you anything that you don’t already know as a long time baseball/Orioles fan, but most of these guys take a little time. Even our younger players on the big club are still growing/improving.
    • I agree Hays is fine to spell Mullins while he figures out how to swing a bat again. I also agree that Hays is disproportionately affected by the wall. If he wasn’t so perpetually dinged up, increasingly expensive and average, he would be an excellent trade candidate.  
    • Rubenstein came down the aisle for our section last night during the game tossing out dozens of hats and talking to the fans as he went. Awesome to have an owner that truly loves this team and enjoys being part of the crowd.
  • Popular Contributors