Maryland vs. LSU

14 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Guy traveled on the winner. 3 steps if you watch closely. Good try

That's what I was thinking.

Gutting to lose like that after fighting so hard.

Putrid start and needing to dig out just cost this team.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Guy traveled on the winner. 3 steps if you watch closely. Good try

He did. Also interior offensive player hooked Bruno enough so he couldn’t get over in time to play help. 

Sucks losing that game. I think we were better team. 

26 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Definitely a heart breaker, but not on the long list of games that makes me angry. 

Actually losing this way makes me angrier than if we never came back in second half.    Too much to ask to not have a hole to climb out of at half?

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Actually losing this way makes me angrier than if we never came back in second half.    Too much to ask to not have a hole to climb out of at half?

I feel same. We were outplaying them. Plus next week would have played in DC. Tough one. 

Most recent painful loss was in I think 2010 to Mich State. We win that game I think we go to Final 4 that year. 

Great game and great to fight back.  It’s unconventional but I wanted us to foul with 10 seconds left.  Hate to lose on last second shot with no timeouts or time to get a good set offensively.  So painful to lose on opponents last shot with almost no time left.

I’ll credit LSU for one thing.....defensively they were ridiculous.  No way they should have gotten back on defense as many times as they did.  I think at least five times, I remember thinking: how the hell do they have anyone back already?  

I am not sure if we had a fast break once during the game that they didn't get back for defensively.  For the entire game, it looked like they had 8 men on defense.  And I honestly can't recall them making a single defensive mistake, as anyone we had open was open for about 1 second at most.  A real credit to those kids for executing on that end of the floor. 

2 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Amazing fight by both teams.  I was truly impressed MD was ever up in this game because man we couldn’t hit a thing.  Look at the shooting percentages across the board in the box score.  Just nobody hot at all except Wiggins for a brief run in the first half.  To come back from 15 down in the 2nd half to lead was a heckuva job.

Criticisms of Turgeon in game coaching are warranted typically, but he went to the zone.  He called the set that got Jaylen Smith the wide open 3 pointer to tie it up.  I thought he coached this one well.

I love the guy but DAMN did Ayala kill us today.  He missed at least 5 wide open 3 pointers including the big one that was wide open at the end.  Stix played great.  Bruno is tired IMO but gave it all he had which is still a lot.  Morsell played his butt off in both games.  To be honest, as poorly as we shot, we lost the game at the free throw line.

We just a game at the buzzer to a good team when we shot 33% from the field and 70% from the line and neither of our “best” two players had a good game.  I’m pretty surprised it was that close.  Solid year, but this one definitely hurt.

The 2010 loss to Michigan State was much worse, as that one still bothers me to this day.  Wish we had won today, but losing to Michigan State or Duke in our own backyard would really have been bad.  Would have been nice to have the chance though.

LSU shot 88% on free throws, which is much higher than normal for them.  And we were a little worse than normal.

38 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

So Turgeon still hasn't won any Tourney games against a Major Conference in his what.... 20 years of being a Head Coach?

I would think you'd win 1 by mistake.

Yeah, this is still amazing to me.  You are right.  Dumb luck gets you at least one win. 

Archived