Evan Phillips deserves a bullpen spot

wildcard

Phillips has pitched well this Spring, sure. But are we really making something of Spring numbers again? I mean, he’s been facing minor league hitters mostly. Maybe it’s just that his fastball is flat and they don’t think he’ll be near as good as the small sample size numbers are these past four weeks when he has to face AL East hitters. He has a track record, some good, but some yuck last year. Elias and staff have trackman and all of the advanced metrics in front of them. But some want to defy their call and say this kid was robbed? Ok. Carry on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:08 AM, wildcard said:

This guy does not get talked about much, but all he does is put up zeros.

He has now pitched 9.67 scoreless innings in ST, and struck out 10.

The 24 year-old from Salisbury MD had a very good season at AAA-Gwinnett and AAA-Norfolk last season ........ he pitched 51.33 innings, and only allowed 34 hits while striking 72, and putting up at 2.28 ERA.

He came to the Orioles in the Gausman deal last season ........ this guys needs to be in the Orioles' bullpen. He has earned it.

o

EVAN JOHN PHILLIPS )))))) (vs. ATHLETICS, 4/09)

3 lll Innings Pitched (Bullpen)

0 lll Runs

1 llHit (1 Single)

1 lll Walk

4 lll Strikeouts

48 llPitches ) (33 )Strikes, )15 )Balls)

o

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

0 lll Runs

1 llHit (1 Single)

1 lll Walk

4 lll Strikeouts

o

Nice results tonight... but does he have a third pitch?  All I saw him throw was 4 seam fastballs and sliders.

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

0 lll Runs

1 llHit (1 Single)

1 lll Walk

4 lll Strikeouts

o

Which probally gets him back on shuttle. 

36 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

0 lll Runs

1 llHit (1 Single)

1 lll Walk

4 lll Strikeouts

o

8 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Nice results tonight ........ but does he have a third pitch ??? All I saw him throw was 4-seam fastballs and sliders.

o

I have no idea, Brooks ........ I hadn't heard of him at all until we acquired him in the Gausman trade last year, and I just found wildcard's thread after his 3 shutout innings today.

o

4 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Nice results tonight... but does he have a third pitch?  All I saw him throw was 4 seam fastballs and sliders.

He does, but it's not particularly good. He's a reliever, so he doesn't really need it. He lives and dies by his fastball life and command. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I wrote last year when I ranked him 36th on my late season prospect list after his poor Orioles debut. 

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/08/25/lukes-midseason-top-50-adding-the-prospects-from-the-gausman-schoop-deals/

"Low variance 4th piece of the Gausman deal, Phillips is MLB ready but lacks the offspeed pitch to be an impact reliever. He has a fastball heavy pitch mix with a slider and changeup. It makes sense for him to use the fastball because it’s his best pitch, sitting 94-96, t97 with late armside run. While he doesn’t consistently hit his spots, he does have feel for locating the fastball to all four quadrants. The slider and changeup lack any consistency and they are often noncompetitive pitches. They flash at times and maybe there is some upside there, but I wouldn’t count on it. He has deceptive glove arm action that allows the fastball to play even with hitters sitting on it, although I doubt it’ll have the same success against MLB hitters. He struggled in his initial stint with the O’s, as he looked like he was pressing and struggled to throw strikes, but I think he ends up having some value as a middle reliever."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, tarheeloriole said:

I noticed that he did throw atleast one changeup tonight on an 0-2 count, can't remember who the hitter was. It was hit for a flyout in right center, pretty sure Jim Hunter called it a slider but our announcers never say the correct pitch(Thorne especially)

Thorne’s vision tends to get blurrier as the game progresses.  And Hunter is Hunter. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Here's what I wrote last year when I ranked him 36th on my late season prospect list after his poor Orioles debut. 

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/08/25/lukes-midseason-top-50-adding-the-prospects-from-the-gausman-schoop-deals/

"Low variance 4th piece of the Gausman deal, Phillips is MLB ready but lacks the offspeed pitch to be an impact reliever. He has a fastball heavy pitch mix with a slider and changeup. It makes sense for him to use the fastball because it’s his best pitch, sitting 94-96, t97 with late armside run. While he doesn’t consistently hit his spots, he does have feel for locating the fastball to all four quadrants. The slider and changeup lack any consistency and they are often noncompetitive pitches. They flash at times and maybe there is some upside there, but I wouldn’t count on it. He has deceptive glove arm action that allows the fastball to play even with hitters sitting on it, although I doubt it’ll have the same success against MLB hitters. He struggled in his initial stint with the O’s, as he looked like he was pressing and struggled to throw strikes, but I think he ends up having some value as a middle reliever."

That's a pretty spot on description of what I saw tonight... and if I recall correctly, his fastball was consistently sitting on 94  but he seemed to struggle with locating the slider.  I didn't see a changeup but that doesn't mean he didn't throw a couple.  Thanks for this Luke!