Mychal Givens 2019

Frobby

Wow, was Givens impressive today!   Four batters, three swinging strikeouts.    Threw several 98 mph heaters, and at least one really nasty 85 mph changeup.   He allowed one hit on a slider that stayed on the outside of the plate.   His fastball was almost untouchable.   Great start to the season for Givens!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Hyde had no business letting him come into the 9th ........ just way too many pitches this early in the season ........ but mostly, except for the bad double play throw, he was pretty good all weekend ........

Just now, crawjo said:

I wonder why Hyde brought him out for the 9th, and then left him in there for so long when it was clear he was getting tired. 

o

In Buck, we tru ........ eh, I mean, in Hyde, we abide.

o

14 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

No business letting him come into the 9th...just way too many pitches this early in the season....But mostly, except for the bad double play throw..he was pretty good all weekend...

I totally disagree.....by the book maybe, by what has been done for the last two decades maybe. Baseball is stagnate, try new things. Save him for what? 50 wins versus 55 wins?? Stretch all these guys out. Lets see what they have got, then settle into a more comfortable routine. He got the first two outs in the 9th routinely....on few pitches.

I'm a bit concerned about his conditioning.  He clearly put on weight during the off season.   His pitching style relies on his legs to generate power.    Probably fine in short stretches but I'm concerned how it translates into the long season.  Hopefully he works himself into better shape as the season progresses.

I wonder how Givens reacted emotionally to the potential inning-ending DP grounder that he messed up in the eighth, causing him to throw so many more pitches (or what Hyde thought about his reaction). Givens seemed to get amped up after that, overthrowing a couple of times IMO.

I wondered at the time whether that might have something to do with Hyde sticking with Givens for so long -- a couple of hitters too long, it was clear to me. It didn't makes sense to me, but Hyde seems to do things for reasons of his own -- I assume he has his reasons -- that aren't apparent to me.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I would have preferred him not thrown that many pitches on a back to back this early, but I'm not going to gripe about it, we'll see if it's a trend or a one off. 

It could be a trend if nobody else steps up. With that said, the rest of the pen looked good with the exception of Bleier this weekend.

Archived