Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last hitter of the 6th hit a screaming liner to Davis.    The first hitter in the 7th hit a screaming liner to Martin.   His velocity was down about 2 mph from the start of the 6th.   It was a good time to pull him.    He wasn’t going 9 in any event.  

Gotta disagree, a good time to pull him is after he gives up his first hit.  Pitch count was not high, you can loose a team if you don't believe in your players.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the contact and velocity as well, but it does not matter.  You keep him in until at least the first hit. This is simply not done. Ever. I am sorry, but this broke a cardinal baseball rule. I get the why, but still cannot agree with this move.

1 minute ago, Yachtsman said:

I saw the contact and velocity as well, but it does not matter.  You keep him in until at least the first hit. This is simply not done. Ever. I am sorry, but this broke a cardinal baseball rule. I get the why, but still cannot agree with this move.

I don't recall when off hand but I have seen guys pulled before with intact no hitters.

Here, have a Fangraphs article on the subject:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/more-pitchers-are-getting-pulled-from-no-hitters/

I agree, wholeheartedly. What a Bush League move.

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I said in the game thread that day Hess shouldn't be in the game. Another bad decision.

He had to pitch someone when you loose your opening day starter to injury and need to put him on dL.  Then your starter goes 4 innings and you are having a bullpen game the next game he was going to have to pitch about everyone in the first series to get innings.  

It is really difficult for people who have known MLB when it was really MLB to believe the depths to which MLB has sunk.  .  For those who have not known any different, I guess they see nothing wrong with taking a Starter who was cruising on a low pitch count to a no hitter,  out of the game.  I think back when baseball was the sport that set itself apart from any other one, by being tough, real and one to be proud of.  I do not even want to think what would have happened if a Bob Gibson, Bob Feller, Robin Roberts, etc. would have had someone come out to the mound and even suggest that he come out when he was cruising to a no hitter with a comfortable lead.  All for the sake of what, pitch count?  Those guys back then would have told whoever was brave enough to try to take them out in a situation like that to stick it,  and many unprintable words.  Truly shocking.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall when off hand but I have seen guys pulled before with intact no hitters.

If they are hurt, if they gave up a ton of walks and clearly laboring in the eighth,  it is not what we have here. One walk? You leave him in.

If they are hurt, if they gave up a ton of walks and clearly laboring in the eighth,  it is not what we have here. One walk? You leave him in.

Check out the link I added.

It is no where near as rare as you seem to think it is.

7 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I'd like to clarify, I'm actually not criticizing Hyde directly, and I don't think people should, because as is being pointed out on Twitter, he likely does not own this decision.

He’s the manager...

8 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

It is really difficult for people who have known MLB when it was really MLB to believe the depths to which MLB has sunk.  .  For those who have not known any different, I guess they see nothing wrong with taking a Starter who was cruising on a low pitch count to a no hitter,  out of the game.  I think back when baseball was the sport that set itself apart from any other one, by being tough, real and one to be proud of.  I do not even want to think what would have happened if a Bob Gibson, Bob Feller, Robin Roberts, etc. would have had someone come out to the mound and even suggest that he come out when he was cruising to a no hitter with a comfortable lead.  All for the sake of what, pitch count?  Those guys back then would have told whoever was brave enough to try to take them out in a situation like that to stick it,  and many unprintable words.  Truly shocking.   

Really hate this kind of gatekeeping. When was it “really MLB?” At some point in between greenies and PEDs? Pre-Moneyball? Before the new-fangled home run?

Archived