Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

It was the 6th inning, they were down 4 and were getting no hit. No, I wouldn't have used Bleier, Givens or Yacabonis even if they were all "available."

Isn’t that essentially surrendering the game? “We’re down by four with getting ahead we’re going to lose I’ll send in my sucky guy”

That’s a little better, but it does make sense, but if that’s the case, then why not leave him in there?

If you’re throwing your worst pitcher into a lost cause, the least you can do is use him to save your other guys. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mistake wasn't bringing in Wright, it was pulling him after 1.1 IP and having to bring in your second baseman to pitch.  His potential value to the team yesterday was to pitch 3 innings, get shelled and save the pen.  The game was over, who cares if he gives up 10 runs in 3 innings?  That was his chance to provide value and Hyde botched it. 

33 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

The mistake wasn't bringing in Wright, it was pulling him after 1.1 IP and having to bring in your second baseman to pitch.  His potential value to the team yesterday was to pitch 3 innings, get shelled and save the pen.  The game was over, who cares if he gives up 10 runs in 3 innings?  That was his chance to provide value and Hyde botched it. 

Exactly my point.

Here is my take away:

#1 - Hyde doesn't have much control over the 25 man roster. He plays the lineup according to the roster, he is given.

#2 - We all know this lineup isn't the best lineup in MLB.  They are on a 3 year plan and year 1 is barely under way.

#3 - Hyde has shown a willingness to bench Davis and even pinch hit for him. I suspect ownership will have to make a decision soon.

#4 - Hyde is a new manager, we said we wanted new blood. Let him cut his teeth on this lineup and cut him some slack.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles were off on Friday and used Means, Karns, Fry, and Castro in relief on Saturday.

Assuming that all of them were thus unavailable, that means that for Sunday your available relievers were Wright, Bleier, Givens, Straily, and Yacabonis.  

Would Wright be the first name you'd want to insert from that list?

He would not be mine.

If you want to tell me that the other 4 guys were all unavailable.........ok then I understand you have to use whoever is left.   But that seems to have not been the case.

You don’t necessarily want to use your best pitcher available in a game you’re already losing 4-0 after 5 innings.    At that point per BB-ref we had an 8% chance of winning.    So you save your better guys for a better situation.   Of course, Wright took our chances down from 8% to 1% with his incompetent pitching.   

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You don’t necessarily want to use your best pitcher available in a game you’re already losing 4-0 after 5 innings.    At that point per BB-ref we had an 8% chance of winning.    So you save your better guys for a better situation.   Of course, Wright took our chances down from 8% to 1% with his incompetent pitching.   

How about the 6th inning when you're up 4-1 with two guys already on base?

Do you agree with that call?

I mean, I'm not saying Hyde is the worst manager ever or that he's totally unqualified......... that would be ridiculous.

I just don't really see what's wrong with criticizing specific moves that I may not agree with.

20 minutes ago, Aglets said:

How about the 6th inning when you're up 4-1 with two guys already on base?

Do you agree with that call?

Wright has not been used in that situation.   

And no, I have no problem with you or anyone else criticizing specific moves.   I just don’t agree that you should use your best reliever available when down 4-0.  

Edit - on Thursday, Wright came in with 2 outs and  bases empty, ahead 2.    Yes, I think it was questionable not to get Wright out of there.   Using him at all?  Maybe OK.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wright has not been used in that situation.   

And no, I have no problem with you or anyone else criticizing specific moves.   I just don’t agree that you should use your best reliever available when down 4-0.    

You're right.  I mixed it up looking at the box score.   sorry.

Wright came in when it was 4-2 with the bases empty in the 6th.

Your last sentence is perfectly reasonable too, I can understand that.   I wouldn't put in my best guy necessarily either in that spot.   I guess I'm just struggling to think of when I would want to use Wright at all,  probably in mopup duty.

When your roster is as bad as ours, the manager doesn't have to justify his reasoning or moves.  Hyde gets all the slack in the world right now.  When we become a competitive team, playing close to or above .500 baseball for an entire season, then I'll scrutinize Hyde's in-game moves.  Until then, I'm more interested in player development...

I think there's one more possibility re: Wright that many here aren't really considering.

He was one of our best pitchers for most of spring training. Hyde might have been thinking he's one of the better guys to get into the game. By now he better have learned that's not the case.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Here is my take away:

#1 - Hyde doesn't have much control over the 25 man roster. He plays the lineup according to the roster, he is given.

#2 - We all know this lineup isn't the best lineup in MLB.  They are on a 3 year plan and year 1 is barely under way.

#3 - Hyde has shown a willingness to bench Davis and even pinch hit for him. I suspect ownership will have to make a decision soon.

#4 - Hyde is a new manager, we said we wanted new blood. Let him cut his teeth on this lineup and cut him some slack.

Elias has done Hyde no favors in making sure we have a fresh arm in the pen. Wotherspoon over Ynoa or Yefry was a joke. 

I was not second guessing anybody by finding it literally unbelievable that young Mr. Hess was removed from the game.  Altho it WAS worthy of second guessing as the Orioles  nearly ended up losing the game. It was for several reasons that to this minute I am still livid that such a thing was done.  In a year when there may be precious few things to cheer about, both as players and fans, this was a moment given to us by the  off the chart good pitching of Mr.Hess.  Sure, he might not have finished the no hitter off, but he did not give a clue that would be the case.  Unless there was a minor injury that I have not heard about,  I cannot think of any thing else as a even a poor reason for yanking him.  I think the pitch count was 72 going into the last inning he pitched.  It used to be an unwritten rule that in a case where the team is winning handily, the pitcher is not injured,  the pitch count back then did not mean much, but even if you check that stat you see it was, I believe in the 80s, that the pitcher is left in, anything else would be unthinkable.  I hope Hess is a good soldier and does not let it get him down, but if he does shake it off, he is remarkable.  It reminded me of the classic line in the movie Secretariat when everybody was against Penny Chenery, the owner of the horse.  She said  he is going to Race and he is going to Win.   I WILL not live the rest of my life in regret, wondering what might have happened.  The older you folks get, the more you WILL appreciate that attitude.  

On 4/7/2019 at 9:48 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Mancini is very fast?

He's a rookie manager, a learning curve is going to exist.

Unless something truly egregious happens I'm giving him a pass on the season.

No rush. Give him the decade. lol 

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias has done Hyde no favors in making sure we have a fresh arm in the pen. Wotherspoon over Ynoa or Yefry was a joke. 

i agree, but I am not going to beat up Elias either, he has the difficulty of working on this year's roster and the future at the same time.

Archived