Attendance 2019

Frobby

55 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm fairly sure we're not all completely delusional here.  American football passed baseball in popularity in the US about the time I was in kindergarten, if not earlier.  This is not in dispute.

Baseball is behind Basketball in popularity now. And for women it is equal with soccer for viewing.  For 18 to 54 group soccer is more popular than baseball.

We all on here like baseball. But I assume our demographics is  probably older and much more male than the general population. 

Also we are at the end of a terrible season and the Ravens just started their season.  

Baseball generated over 10 billion last year. It's doing just fine. The vast majority of the owners don't pay for their stadiums and make money without fielding winning teams. The vast majority of their overhead, really all of it for many teams, are short term commitments, it's still very prestigious to own a baseball team, and they can sell the team in ten years and make a nice profit. Revenue could significantly drop and it would still be a very attractive business. I will think baseball is in real financial decline when the selling prices of teams significantly drop. The owners are not going to do much until that happens IMO...which is pretty much never. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Baseball generated over 10 billion last year. It's doing just fine. The vast majority of the owners don't pay for their stadiums and make money without fielding winning teams. The vast majority of their overhead, really all of it for many teams, are short term commitments, it's still very prestigious to own a baseball team, and they can sell the team in ten years and make a nice profit. Revenue could significantly drop and it would still be a very attractive business. I will think baseball is in real financial decline when the selling prices of teams significantly drop. The owners are not going to do much until that happens IMO...which is pretty much never. 

Baseball has been at the forefront of making revenue off the internet and some of their data-gathering products and technologies that have been licensed to other parties.    That has helped a lot during a period where their actual fan base is stagnant or declining a bit.  But, it probably will get harder for them to find alternative sources of revenue.    

56 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Baseball knows that you can do well with 10% of the 330M US population as fans.  But they're conducting an ongoing experiment to see how long that 10% holds up when 60% of the 10% is retirement age or close.  60-year-olds tend to have more money than 20-year-olds, and they still watch most of their games on expensive cable/satellite packages, so they might do okay for a while.  I'm a little less optimistic about 2030 or 2040.