Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Curious how often they do this.  

Sounds like Mr. Elias has learned that Mancini will not be fetching much value on the trade market and or that ownership will not be allowing him to cut Chris Davis anytime soon.  I like the move, he has proved he can hit in AAA, why not see if he can play LF?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Sounds like Mr. Elias has learned that Mancini will not be fetching much value on the trade market and or that ownership will not be allowing him to cut Chris Davis anytime soon.  I like the move, he has proved he can hit in AAA, why not see if he can play LF?

LF is a move up in defensive value from 1B so sure.  

I do hope that he is feeling confident about playing first before they put something else on his plate.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

LF is a move up in defensive value from 1B so sure.  

I do hope that he is feeling confident about playing first before they put something else on his plate.

Or you could look at it as them making a switch before he gets too comfortable with first base? Agreed more valuable as a LF. 

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

It would be awesome if he can be average defensively in LF. I'm under the impression that he's more athletic than Mancini. I just don't know how athletic he actually is.

I gotta think he has the athletic ability to play LF since he was drafted and started out as a short stop. That is typically your most athletic player. The knock I have always heard on him has been the arm. 

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That batter definitely went to the "Manny Machado School Of Hustle."

Doesn't look all that quick out there to me lumbering over to that ball and wasn't that strong a throw. As you said, more runners error than anything else. He's still probably better than Smith out there, though. I still have big questions about Mountcastle myself. Seems like a good chance of being yet another DH type player and that's only if he can hit ML pitching. We seem to be desperately trying to find a position for him. I guess at worst, he would be able to fill in at several positions in the case of an injury even if it's just average D at best which is a valuable thing to have.

His arm looked plenty good for LF to me, especially after watching Dwight Smith throw past the cutoff man twice tonight in completely futile efforts to prevent a runner from scoring, each time allowing another runner to take an extra base.   

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mountcastle is a poor man's Trumbo.  Trade him or package while he has a little value.  The bat is good, not special.  He'll be a .280/.300/.450  hitter with little to no defensive value.  His walk totals are embarrassing and signals that he has no willingness to change.

I actually lobbied to trade Mountcastle back in the DD days because I felt similar and also he was blocked by a freshly signed Davis and Machado at 3B. Things have changed since and I'm not sure I would trade him in the midst of this particular rebuild, but the reasons you mentioned are why he's still in AAA. He's still young at 22, also, so the fact that he's OPsing over .800 at 22 in AAA is definitely noteworthy. He still has more upside, I think.

That said, I agree that 9 walks to 71 Ks in 278 AB is kind of abysmal.