Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

Mountcastle is more than holding his own as a 22 year old at Norfolk, but regardless of his defensive position, I'd like to see improvement in plate discipline from him before he is called up.  He has 7 walks and 39 strikeouts in 171 plate appearances so far this season.  I don't want him to turn into the next Jeff Francouer.

• Upvote 1

We've had many, many guys at Norfolk struggle over the years and it has been blamed on the ballpark.  The way RM, Sisco and DJ are hitting this year, they are putting up some strong results especially in terms of how prospects have fared there.

23 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We've had many, many guys at Norfolk struggle over the years and it has been blamed on the ballpark.  The way RM, Sisco and DJ are hitting this year, they are putting up some strong results especially in terms of how prospects have fared there.

Different ball this year.

Buck made it a point in Spring Training last year when Mountcastle was working out with the Orioles team that would eventually come North from Sarasota that he didn't draw enough walks and pointed out just how dramatic that stat was. I believe he had like 20 walks in 400 AB's in 2018. When Buck referenced the low walk totals, it was like saying you have to do more than just swing hard to make it up here..

3 minutes ago, 21xxxv said:

Buck made it a point in Spring Training last year when Mountcastle was working out with the Orioles team that would eventually come North from Sarasota that he didn't draw enough walks and pointed out just how dramatic that stat was. I believe he had like 20 walks in 400 AB's in 2018. When Buck referenced the low walk totals, it was like saying you have to do more than just swing hard to make it up here..

And yet Buck had a whole team that didn't walk and only felt a need to call out the kid in the minors.

Good old easy target Buck.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And yet Buck had a whole team that didn't walk and only felt a need to call out the kid in the minors.

Good old easy target Buck.

No easy target. Just a fact that a power hitter should draw more walks if he wants to ascend faster in the organization. I think he will as he matures as a player

Everything’s relative.   Mountcastle improved his walk rate from 3.2% in 2017 to 6.1% in 2018, so I’d say he reacted well to Buck’s feedback.   He’s backtracked to 4.0% this year, but at the same time he’s hitting well.     It’s definitely an area he should continue to work on.

Elias was asked about Mountcastle today and said he viewed his timetable as different than Stewart’s and Sisco’s.   Elias said Mountcastle has a lot of work to do on defense at both 3B and 1B, and Elias also wants to see how he adjusts to pitchers (and they to him) the 2nd and 3rd time through the league.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Elias was asked about Mountcastle today and said he viewed his timetable as different than Stewart’s and Sisco’s.   Elias said Mountcastle has a lot of work to do on defense at both 3B and 1B, and Elias also wants to see how he adjusts to pitchers (and they to him) the 2nd and 3rd time through the league.   

May want to see how he adjusts to keeping his mlb clock stalled. 

Mountcastle, Hall & Songbird in the minors until we are contenders, imho.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hard to work on defense at 3B when you don't get any playing time there.  He's played five games at 3B for the Tides.  I think they are viewing him as a 1B now.