Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I sure hope he can show he has mastered the level at some point.

Kid is 22. 39 games at Norfolk. He's obviously kicking A right now, but I don't have an issue with him staying down there at least half a season. We'll obviously get to see exactly what the FO does with a real prospect soon and it will be interesting to see how they define "master". 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

If arm strength is a major issue with Mountcastle, can anybody explain why they haven't tried him out at second base yet? Is his range that bad? Doesn't make much sense how they just moved him to 1B without trying him out at 2B first.

Right there with you.  I raised that question in this thread last month.  I have to think that they've tried it and must not have liked what they saw at all haha otherwise it would make too much sense.  On the other hand, perhaps it speaks to how much Elias values strong defense up the middle, because as a relatively athletic kid who played SS in high school, I'd think he'd be able to at least be serviceable at the keystone.

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

If arm strength is a major issue with Mountcastle, can anybody explain why they haven't tried him out at second base yet? Is his range that bad? Doesn't make much sense how they just moved him to 1B without trying him out at 2B first.

If Mountcastle is at 2B when the O's go into a shift against a left handed hitter, would he be able to throw out the runner from medium right-field? And what about turning double-plays and making relay throws to the plate?

I think we were all spoiled by Schoop's arm strength.

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The arm strength is only one of his defensive issues. Range was always going to be a problem for him. Schoop got away with below average range thanks to his big arm. He's also a big kid who will likely continue to get broader and put on muscle moving into his mid-20s. His future is going to depend on his bat, so moving him to 1st and letting him focus on raking seems like the best move. 

Yes, the balls are different and 39 games is still a small sample, but this is the best he's looked at the plate in 2 years since he dominated High-A. Since leaving Frederick, he's been trying to learn 3B with lots of focus on his glove and arm. Maybe letting him focus on hitting and not trying to learn a new, difficult position is agreeing with his development. 

6 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

The arm strength is only one of his defensive issues. Range was always going to be a problem for him. Schoop got away with below average range thanks to his big arm. He's also a big kid who will likely continue to get broader and put on muscle moving into his mid-20s. His future is going to depend on his bat, so moving him to 1st and letting him focus on raking seems like the best move. 

Yes, the balls are different and 39 games is still a small sample, but this is the best he's looked at the plate in 2 years since he dominated High-A. Since leaving Frederick, he's been trying to learn 3B with lots of focus on his glove and arm. Maybe letting him focus on hitting and not trying to learn a new, difficult position is agreeing with his development. 

Very good points all around.