Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's in the top five in RBI and average now, if I read it correctly. I also love they have him in left the last few times I've checked. I hope we have him set for left next year with Santander in right and Mancini at first. Perhaps Hays can win the job in center and we have half our lineup set anyway with Nunez at third or DH.

I will apologize in advance because I know this has probably already been addressed, but what makes the most sense to do with him in terms of team control.  Would it make a difference if he started the season next year in Baltimore or if they waited a couple months to bring him up? Could they justify keeping him the minors again next season?

19 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I will apologize in advance because I know this has probably already been addressed, but what makes the most sense to do with him in terms of team control.  Would it make a difference if he started the season next year in Baltimore or if they waited a couple months to bring him up? Could they justify keeping him the minors again next season?

Under the current agreement, assuming he accrues no playing time this year, you only need to wait a few weeks before bringing him up next year to gain an entire extra year of team control.  There are many debates on the merits of doing this and whether it is worth it or not.

As far as justifying keeping him in the minors, you could always come up with some reason.  Want him to improve his plate discipline, want him to improve his defense, etc.  It's pretty obvious at this point that Elias and Co. are basically just trying use AAAA guys this year to get through a season without having many potential future pieces earn service time.  Whether that philosophy extends into next year remains to be seen.

I see Mount coming up next year and putting up Machado-like numbers offensively the next 5 years. I think his bat could be that good maybe better. I wasn't too high on him until this year. I'm not too worried about his walk rate or defense really.

1 hour ago, vatech1994 said:

That is one of the more impressive home runs you’ll ever see from a RHB in the minors.  Low, offspeed, 0-2.  It was in the middle of the plate but otherwise was a good pitch.  Very few hitters anywhere can hit that pitch out, let alone 440 feet.  Most just roll over on it.  He was clearly looking for that pitch and was able to smoke it despite it being ankle to shin high.  Damn.

He’s hit like 10, 0-2 HRs, it’s kind of amazing. 

I was pretty sure he was producing plus MLB exit velocities but that was just speculative until the trackman 110mph double yesterday. To put that in some context, that’s harder than a 219 MLB players have hit the ball all year.

romorr: Most Oriole fans love Mountcastle, but I can’t get over the 3-4% walk rate. He is 22, but isn’t that a harder skill to teach? Just worried he is going to have to hit .290-.300 to have a respectable OBP.
Keith Law: Unlikely he gets to the point he can be a regular. I know some people were angry I didn’t have him on my top 100, but he clearly didn’t belong between low on-base skills and lack of position.

Archived