Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Why do people ask Law's opinion on Oriole prospects when they can come here and read Luke and Tony's candid, thorough, non-biased evaluations?

I find it worthwhile to absorb as much information as I can, even if there are some sources I value a lot more than others. 

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He leads the league in hits... by 15.  

It’s not that meaningful, in that a large number of AAA players don’t spend the full year there.   He also leads the league in at bats.    Among qualifiers (currently, 324 PA), he’s 6th in BA.   Still, no complaints here.  

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Why do people ask Law's opinion on Oriole prospects when they can come here and read Luke and Tony's candid, thorough, non-biased evaluations?

There’s a lot of benefit to hearing the views of scouting types who don’t focus so heavily on one team.   I hang on every word Tony and Luke say, but it’s also good to have the wider perspective.    And I don’t think Law’s views are that different than Tony’s and Luke’s, anyway.    

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

Lack of position? He could be a 1B, LF, 3B or DH. He is playing left quite a bit lately, or at least it seems that way when I check. I haven't read much about his defense in left. Is he better than Mancini?

I think the ship has sailed on Third base being a viable option.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s not that meaningful, in that a large number of AAA players don’t spend the full year there.   He also leads the league in at bats.    Among qualifiers (currently, 324 PA), he’s 6th in BA.   Still, no complaints here.  

He leads the league in at bats because he doesn't walk.  Oh no, not that again! ?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the ship has sailed on Third base being a viable option.

Probably, but I hope left is a reasonable option. I've been looking for opinions on his defense there. I've just seen him play first base.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Aristides Aquino

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aquinar01.shtml

He didn’t walk a lot in AAA this year either. Not that I think they are similar in prospect analysis  .  Just pointing out that power plays up right now in the MLB.

It would be entertaining to see what Mountcastle would do in OPACY. 

Not to hijack the thread, but his WAR is higher than all but 7 players on the Orioles in 12 games. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and I think that's another example of the O's being slower than other organizations in promoting players.  He shouldn't be in AAA so long that he has a huge lead in hits.  The years of control thing (that someone will instinctively bring up) just isn't a good enough reason - it's a premature concern at best.  If the O's are worried about that, they can try to sign him to a contract similar to what Atlanta gave to Albies and Acuna.      

Archived