TT: Ynoa, it's time to say goodbye to Mike Wright

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I don't this guy from Adam other than his stats in the pros and at Elon, but what makes him interesting? Is it his lack or power and speed? Is it his .250/.344/.356/.700 slash line in rookie ball as a 21-year old last year or his .159/.229/.318/.547 slash line this year so far?

It's not like the guy is a defensive whiz at SS, because he's been playing all over the infield. So what makes him interesting? What am I missing?

He appears to be the exact kind of guy you give up just to make it a trade rather than a release. Remember, the Orioles now are off the hook for most of his $568K salary.

I guess I thought it was going to be a straight release of Wright and getting back a 22 year old infielder that was a 12th rounder last year seemed like a positive. He must have a little potential. Stat wise he definitely hasn't done much for sure though.

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

They mention "raw stuff" and "94 mph fastball" and that's the thing about Mike Wright. He doesn't have all that good of stuff! When he humps it up to 96 on rare occasion, then it's a little more intriguing. But his slider stinks most of the time, his fastball is mediocre and he can't command it, and that's the extent of his repertoire. 

I can't imagine they squeeze more out of him other than a couple of good initial appearances (because that's how Wright rolls), but if they do, I'll be extremely curious about it.

Didn't Wright used to hit high 90's every now and then? I feel like I remember in his first couple of starts he was hitting high 90's? 

Answer is yep. He used to sit around 95 MPH. https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=12586&position=P&pitch=FA&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2015&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

I always thought he'd be some kinda useful out of the pen. But the results were putrid. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I don't this guy from Adam other than his stats in the pros and at Elon, but what makes him interesting? Is it his lack or power and speed? Is it his .250/.344/.356/.700 slash line in rookie ball as a 21-year old last year or his .159/.229/.318/.547 slash line this year so far?

It's not like the guy is a defensive whiz at SS, because he's been playing all over the infield. So what makes him interesting? What am I missing?

He appears to be the exact kind of guy you give up just to make it a trade rather than a release. Remember, the Orioles now are off the hook for most of his $568K salary.

His name is not wright.....and that can't be wrong.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha ah man. 

I do feel bad about it, but it's pretty undeniable. 

At the very least, the O's did him a solid with a straight trade to a 25-man roster instead of leaving in limbo land. 

Doesnt mean he stays there, but I get it, better than reassignment to AAA.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha ah man. 

I do feel bad about it, but it's pretty undeniable. 

At the very least, the O's did him a solid with a straight trade to a 25-man roster instead of leaving in limbo land. 

I don't feel bad.  I know we just talked about Davis in the other thread, but Davis was great once and is seeking to get back to that.  Wright never was.  It's a mystery to all of us as to how long he's stayed in the bigs for so long.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't feel bad.  I know we just talked about Davis in the other thread, but Davis was great once and is seeking to get back to that.  Wright never was.  It's a mystery to all of us as to how long he's stayed in the bigs for so long.

Surely this means we'll hear of Brady's imminent departure.

But seriously, it's crazy. There's never NOT been a better guy to use in the minor leagues at any time during Wright's tenure here. Especially in the last couple of years. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Surely this means we'll hear of Brady's imminent departure.

But seriously, it's crazy. There's never NOT been a better guy to use in the minor leagues at any time during Wright's tenure here. Especially in the last couple of years. 

Hell, Davis is a better pitcher.  Small sample size, but whatever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hell, Davis is a better pitcher.  Small sample size, but whatever.

Well we have four years, I guess we can fill out the sample size.  But you may be wright.

Seriously, they just....wait for it...wright themselves.?

• Haha 1