Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

MiLB Profile and Stats

This was Baumann's second double-digit K game in the system. Last time was his first game of last season. 

10 Ks and only 79 pitches in 5 innings. That is really pounding the zone. IRCC, his issue last season wasn't the fastball (even though a few more ticks are nice). It was that his secondaries didn't play as he moved up, which saw his K rate drop. 11K/9 in Delmarva and down to  5.8K/9 in Frederick. 

8 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

MiLB Profile and Stats

This was Baumann's second double-digit K game in the system. Last time was his first game of last season. 

10 Ks and only 79 pitches in 5 innings. That is really pounding the zone. IRCC, his issue last season wasn't the fastball (even though a few more ticks are nice). It was that his secondaries didn't play as he moved up, which saw his K rate drop. 11K/9 in Delmarva and down to  5.8K/9 in Frederick. 

Yeah, that and his fastball command flaws became more glaring and the stuff ticked down. 

41 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I watched his 2nd start and although the results weren't nearly as good as his first outing, I'm not sure if there is another player in the system who is raising his prospect stock as much as Baumann.

Baumann lived in the low 90s last year, couldn't command his fastball well, had trouble staying behind the ball. The slider was good at times, but the curveball and changeup weren't good and weren't thrown as competitive pitches with any frequency. 

Yesterday, Baumann lived 94-96 with ride up in the zone, but also was able to spot it in the lower corners (got squeezed on a few there IMO). He was staying behind the ball, more like his Aberdeen debut, but with better velocity and command. The slider was good and the curveball was much improved, he was throwing it harder and it had sharp late break. He didn't command the curveball well, but it looks like a potential weapon against LHB, especially since the changeup is more of a show me pitch than an out-generator. He also threw some hard (88-89) cutterish pitches. It looks like a distinct pitch separate from his mid 80s slider. The stuff was very good, by far the best I've seen from him (and I saw him live 2x last year + a couple video looks in 2017, 2018 and in college).

Good stuff Luke. I haven't been able to watch last night start so good to see he's trending up. 81 pitches in less than four innings against High-A ball hitters suggests some command/finishing off problems though. Did he have a go too out pitch last night?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good stuff Luke. I haven't been able to watch last night start so good to see he's trending up. 81 pitches in less than four innings against High-A ball hitters suggests some command/finishing off problems though. Did he have a go too out pitch last night?

Against RHB, the elevated FB/SL combo worked well. He struggled to command the curveball against LHB, so there really wasn't a out pitch that was successful yesterday against them, but I was encouraged by the significant improvement in the shape and break of the curveball and it wasn't wild, just needed to be located better. 

The pitch count was elevated by 3 groundball singles finding their way through the infield and a walk on a 3-2 pitch that looked like a strike to me. Baumann wasn't super sharp or anything, but it was notably better than even his good results starts last year in terms of stuff and fastball command. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, joelala said:

Luke- Future bullpen piece, or does he have starter stuff?  I guess time will tell, but what's his ceiling do you think?

I had pretty much written off as a starter based on my 2 live looks and some video looks at him last year. That's changed. I don't feel comfortable projecting him as a starter yet, but I do feel comfortable saying it's a greater possibility now and that if he does have to convert to relief, it may be more than just a middle relief profile. 

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I had pretty much written off as a starter based on my 2 live looks and some video looks at him last year. That's changed. I don't feel comfortable projecting him as a starter yet, but I do feel comfortable saying it's a greater possibility now and that if he does have to convert to relief, it may be more than just a middle relief profile. 

Encouraging!  Thanks as always

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what an outing by Baumann tonight.    6.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K’s.   87 pitches, 57 for strikes.   He was pulled after a 2-out walk in the 7th, and at least two of the called balls in that AB were borderline strikes.   

Hoping Joey, who is at the game, will elaborate on what was working for Baumann tonight.   

And Luke’s report that Baumann may be our most improved pitcher looks pretty good tonight!