Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

I'd wager no, but you never know. The old regime would probably already have him in the rotation. These guys seem to want to help him learn to pitch at all levels first. My guess is next year he'll focus on a 3rd pitch and all of the other stuff (in/out, eye levels, throwing 2/3 best pitches in batter's counts) while at AAA.

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'd wager no, but you never know. The old regime would probably already have him in the rotation. These guys seem to want to help him learn to pitch at all levels first. My guess is next year he'll focus on a 3rd pitch and all of the other stuff (in/out, eye levels, throwing 2/3 best pitches in batter's counts) while at AAA.

Also, it's hard to ask pitchers to skip AAA and go to the majors with the different balls they're using at AA compared to AAA and the majors. 

• 2 weeks later...

This wasn't Mike Baumann's most dominant start this year by any statistical measure, but of the half dozen or more I've watched, this is the one where he's looked the most like a mid-rotation starting pitcher. 

He t98 with the fastball, and the slider was good as always, but the real story was the curveball and changeup which both showed at least fringe average utility and flashed above average. It's the best I've seen both of those pitches for him in the same game. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If Baumann can develop an average changeup what, if anything, keeps him from being in the same conversation as Hall and Rodriguez? Mid to high 90's. Holds stuff deep into games. At least 3 ML pitches.

Grayson has slightly better present command plus Grayson is 4 years younger and should improve. Hall has a much better changeup, better fastball, better curveball, and almost as good slider. His present command is slightly less, but he's 3 years younger and he has better mechanics and is more athletic. That said, Baumann looked like a backend top 100 prospect tonight. 

• Like 1

Of all the players in this org, Baumann seems to have benefited from Elias and his crew as much or more than anyone. Well, maybe others have too, but their upside doesn't have the ceiling that Baumann's does. Hearing reports like the one from Luke about his #3/4 pitches makes me think we're still in the middle of a real growth curve for Baumann, not at the end. We can only hope.

• 2 months later...

Holt on Baumann: “Mike is a very physical, toolsy pitcher who has an impeccable fastball. The slider is very good and he’s still working on developing the curve and changeup to be plus offerings. He is another example of a guy who, especially as he got to Double-A, really began to put his game together. And he was using his mix and using the attack plan information to his advantage. But basically continuing to pitch off his strengths.

“Right now developmentally, he’s still working on some delivery improvements to get more consistent with his best. But even in terms of his delivery he made strides on the year.”

Baumann’s fastball and slider are his top two pitches and if his curveball and changeup improve, it could mean the difference for him at the major league level.

“Yeah, and honestly, that’s with everybody. I’m encouraged by what we’ve seen him do with these two pitches,” said Holt. “He’s making very solid headway. If he has a four-pitch mix, he’s going to be able to devastate a lot of different types of hitters, both righties and lefties, at the big league level.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/11/checking-in-on-some-top-minor-league-arms-with-chris-holt.html

• 1 month later...

Comments from another team’s scout interviewed by Melewski:

“I was a bit lower on him than some in our organization. We saw him up to 97 (mph) with that riding life and hop that teams are looking for now - that four-seam, up-in-the-zone action. He has the ability to pitch with that and gets swinging strikes up in the zone. The Astros really emphasize that and I’m sure the Orioles will do the same. His fastball was a real plus pitch with some natural cut to it. It might be a 70 (on the 20-80 scout scale). It’s really tough to hit thrown hard with life. Curveball has some depth. I didn’t love it when I saw him. His slider is solid, kind of cuttery.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Comments from another team’s scout interviewed by Melewski:

“I was a bit lower on him than some in our organization. We saw him up to 97 (mph) with that riding life and hop that teams are looking for now - that four-seam, up-in-the-zone action. He has the ability to pitch with that and gets swinging strikes up in the zone. The Astros really emphasize that and I’m sure the Orioles will do the same. His fastball was a real plus pitch with some natural cut to it. It might be a 70 (on the 20-80 scout scale). It’s really tough to hit thrown hard with life. Curveball has some depth. I didn’t love it when I saw him. His slider is solid, kind of cuttery.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/a-scouts-take-on-some-orioles-prospects.html

Thanks for this tidbit. Seems like this guy, without saying as much, sees Baumann in more of a high leverage relief role with that fastball. I’m ok with that if it’s the outcome. 

• Upvote 1