Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Frederick blew the game in the 9th and only allowed one hit for the game. I hated to see Baumann lose a win.

Ludicrous.    They walked four guys who were batting under .180 in one inning.   5 runs on 1 hit.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wow, what an outing by Baumann tonight.    6.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K’s.   87 pitches, 57 for strikes.   He was pulled after a 2-out walk in the 7th, and at least two of the called balls in that AB were borderline strikes.   

Hoping Joey, who is at the game, will elaborate on what was working for Baumann tonight.   

And Luke’s report that Baumann may be our most improved pitcher looks pretty good tonight!

27 swinging strikes which might be the most I’ve ever seen in an outing.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

27 swinging strikes which might be the most I’ve ever seen in an outing.

Wilmington is a pretty terrible offensive team, batting a collective .207, worst in the Carolina League.   They strike out 27.1% of the time.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wilmington is a pretty terrible offensive team, batting a collective .207, worst in the Carolina League.   They strike out 27.1% of the time.   

They have been struggling, but not for lack of talent. They ranked in the top 5 most talented minor league teams by BA, Keith Law, and MLB.com. A handful of guys Adam Hall’s age on that team though, so there are some growing pains.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hoping Joey, who is at the game, will elaborate on what was working for Baumann tonight.   

Going to do my best.

He kept them fooled completely. He blew fastballs by them, had them way out in front and flailing at his breaking ball (I believe it is a slider. @Luke-OH Please correct me if I'm wrong.) His curve was also effective. He basically had all 3 pitches working and the hitters had no idea what to expect. He worked both sides pretty well and didn't elevate much.

He only had 1 hard contact moment, on a deep fly ball to center. Other than that, it was just keeping hitters off balance.

He did seem to attack early in the game and then tried nipping the corners of the zone too much later. He still got his strike outs, but he was getting a lot more fouls than swing and misses, which might of cost him an entire inning and a third of pitching.

Luke also pointed out he had an absurdly high number of "swing and miss" tonight.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Going to do my best.

He kept them fooled completely. He blew fastballs by them, had them way out in front and flailing at his breaking ball (I believe it is a slider. @Luke-OH Please correct me if I'm wrong.) His curve was also effective. He basically had all 3 pitches working and the hitters had no idea what to expect. He worked both sides pretty well and didn't elevate much.

He only had 1 hard contact moment, on a deep fly ball to center. Other than that, it was just keeping hitters off balance.

He did seem to attack early in the game and then tried nipping the corners of the zone too much later. He still got his strike outs, but he was getting a lot more fouls than swing and misses, which might of cost him an entire inning and a third of pitching.

Luke also pointed out he had an absurdly high number of "swing and miss" tonight.

The slider is the go to out pitch with two plane break, the curveball was a loopy thing last year but he’s throwing it harder this year with perhaps a different grip or release because it has some sharp vertical break. 

The curveball was probably the breaking ball he used against LHB.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

The slider is the go to out pitch with two plane break, the curveball was a loopy thing last year but he’s throwing it harder this year with perhaps a different grip or release because it has some sharp vertical break. 

The curveball was probably the breaking ball he used against LHB.

Yeah, that is what he used against lefties. He did use it against righties too and had them swinging overtop. He also used it when the one player attempted a bunt. He threw the curveball high and caused the bunt to pop up to him.

The slider was definitely working for him. The low strike zone helped him early.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They have been struggling, but not for lack of talent. They ranked in the top 5 most talented minor league teams by BA, Keith Law, and MLB.com. A handful of guys Adam Hall’s age on that team though, so there are some growing pains.

I didn’t know there were lists of the most talented MiL teams.   

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

They may be bad, but last nights outing saw him double that rate, K’ing 54.5% of batters faced by my count. So pretty darn impressive. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Baumann had a mixed outing today, 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K’s.    The runs came in the 3rd inning after Baumann had struck out the first two hitters.    Then he allowed two ground singles and a three-run homer.    Other than that sequence, he more or less cruised, allowing a two-out double in the first and a leadoff single in the fifth .   He struck out the next batter in the fifth before getting pulled after throwing 90 pitches, 67 for strikes.