Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

On 6/21/2019 at 4:51 PM, RZNJ said:

Interesting. So, is there a ripple effect at Frederick?   Hall, Sedlock, Bishop, Knight, Lebron.  I guess not if they put Sedlock back into the rotation and keep the others in it.

They should move GrayRod and Rom up to Frederick and then promote Sedlock to Bowie. All of those guys have been dominant in their leagues and of course the pitching in AAA and the majors has been horrid. They need to start being more aggressive promoting pitchers who have put up great numbers. 

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They should move GrayRod and Rom up to Frederick and then promote Sedlock to Bowie. All of those guys have been dominant in their leagues and of course the pitching in AAA and the majors has been horrid. They need to start being more aggressive promoting pitchers who have put up great numbers. 

This makes no sense.

What is going on in AAA and the majors has no bearing on how to handle your prospects in low A ball.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Keep in mind as well that much of what is happening in MLB/AAA is being attributed to the use of the MLB baseball with lower stitching and therefore, less drag.  The low MiLB pitchers with good numbers may see their numbers escalate in a bad way with the baseballs in AAA.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Baumann with four shutout innings in relief tonight - 6 Ks and 0 BB.

I hope Baumann and Sedlock move into the Bowie rotation soon to replace Kremer and Lowther.

I think they are managing innings.   Baumann pitching 4 innings of relief a few times is fine.    

As to Sedlock, let’s leave him in Frederick until he shows he’s healthy and pitching as well as he did in May before he was shut down.   Then we can worry about moving him to Bowie. 

20 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Do you see a starter's profile though?  I'm much more interested in that than what level of SP. 

You have to squint a little, but you can see it. His changeup is just a show me pitch right now and at his age it's not likely the pitch takes a significant step forward (although not impossible, see: Means, John). His fastball command has improved, but is still probably just fringe average. The curveball has improved in quality if not consistency, that's going to be the pitch that will make or break him as a starter. He needs the pitch for lefties and currently it's not consistent enough. The improvement in the pitch (it appears he's throwing it differently) makes me hopeful the improved feel will come. I think the profile is 4/5 SP or set-up man. With a chance for mid rotation if everything works out and a middle relief floor if the fastball command becomes limiting. 

Last year it was a middle relief profile for me with some risk of not getting there. So huge improvement, full grade. 

Edit: To list the improvements, 3-4 ticks on the fastball and better ride/usage (full grade), half a grade command, half a grade on the slider and curveball (would be a full grade for the curve if it was more consistent)

• Upvote 3

Baumann's slider is absolutely nasty tonight at 87-91mph. It's been tweaked to be a bit more cutterish and it's really good, plus pitch. The fastball command hasn't been great tonight, 91-94 in the first inning, up to 94-96 in the 3rd. 

• Upvote 1