HERE

mdbdotcom

Today is the 53rd anniversary of Frank Robinson hitting a Luis Tiant fastball completely out of Memorial Stadium, the only home run in stadium history hit out of the park. The red oval shows where the ball made it's exit. It was later marked by an orange and black flag that said HERE. No one ever had to ask what that meant. I was sitting in the old football press box at mezzanine level, just to the left of the oval. I still remember the pitch, but I did not have a view of the ball leaving the park. 

Great way to start a Sunday doubleheader. O's swept the Indians.

Image result for memorial stadium here flag

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That's pretty awesome that you were there!

Yes, but not quite as awesome as Game 3 of the '66 World Series. First WS game ever at Memorial Stadium. Total bedlam. Perfect spot for a 13 year-old kid. There was a temporary billboard on 33rd St. with text that mimicked the Get Smart TV show with Don Adams. It said,

Would You Believe Four Straight?

I watched Wally Bunker pitch a complete game shutout on six hits. Claude Osteen only gave up three hits, but one of them was a solo shot by Paul Blair. You knew the baseball Gods were smiling for the O's when the game opened with a fine running catch by Curt (Clank) Blefary.

Any time is a great time to be an Orioles fan, but back then it was a bit more fun than now. Hang in there.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Today is the 53rd anniversary of Frank Robinson hitting a Luis Tiant fastball completely out of Memorial Stadium, the only home run in stadium history hit out of the park. The red oval shows where the ball made it's exit. It was later marked by an orange and black flag that said HERE. No one ever had to ask what that meant. I was sitting in the old football press box at mezzanine level, just to the left of the oval. I still remember the pitch, but I did not have a view of the ball leaving the park. 

Having searched the web and Youtube repeatedly over the years I guess I have to conclude there is no film of Frank's shot.   I'd love to be able to see it.

It took me a while but I did finally find film of the Henson Heave, the longest game winning buzzer beater shot in the history of basketball.   It happened just a few years before I went to Virginia Tech so it was already legendary at VT when I got there.

Those were the days.  No garbage like exit velocity, or bat speed, or ball arch, or even chicks in the stands that tell us what players do on their off days or when they were younger or even what kind of attitude they had when they were 2 years old.  JUST PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

11 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Those were the days.  No garbage like exit velocity, or bat speed, or ball arch, or even chicks in the stands that tell us what players do on their off days or when they were younger or even what kind of attitude they had when they were 2 years old.  JUST PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Great story!  HERE is the flag used today to commemorate Frank's feat near the site of Memorial Stadium.

Archived