vs. Yankees 5/15 (Game 2)

Moose Milligan

Anyone else think the radio broadcast for the Os has just gone off a cliff?  Whether it’s Mike Bordick, Dave Johnson, Ben McDonald, and even Brian Roberts sometimes, the color guys for the broadcast just don’t know when to stop talking.  They simply will not let the game breathe and will talk through a pitch and action on the field.  It’s really frustrating to listen to games on the radio now.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wasn’t worth it to try that, down 2. But he made it.   Still don’t like the decision.  

Yeah, I’ve seen him run into outs. He’s over-aggressive on the base paths. It would have been an acceptable decision if they were up, not down by two.

2 minutes ago, jtm said:

Anyone else think the radio broadcast for the Os has just gone off a cliff?  Whether it’s Mike Bordick, Dave Johnson, Ben McDonald, and even Brian Roberts sometimes, the color guys for the broadcast just don’t know when to stop talking.  They simply will not let the game breathe and will talk through a pitch and action on the field.  It’s really frustrating to listen to games on the radio now.

I'm one of the few who likes Dave Johnson.  He's old school and doesn't mess around.  Kind of like me.

I like McDonald and Roberts, too.  Bordick just comes across as a hell of a nice guy who can't relax and have some fun.  

Want pure misery?  Watch a Nats TV broadcast sometime.  I don't know their PBP guy, (Carpenter?) but whoever it is and FP Santangelo will seemingly go a minute or two without talking.  It's excruciating.  

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looks like vintage Britton.

IMO, as long as the Yankees have Ottavino, Britton, Chapman (I'm forgetting someone else) healthy, I think they can sustain their injuries elsewhere and give Houston a run for their money.  Their offense is still effective for now and it's pretty much game over if they have a lead into the later innings.  

Betances? On IL but exoected back.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm one of the few who likes Dave Johnson.  He's old school and doesn't mess around.  Kind of like me.

I like McDonald and Roberts, too.  Bordick just comes across as a hell of a nice guy who can't relax and have some fun.  

Want pure misery?  Watch a Nats TV broadcast sometime.  I don't know their PBP guy, (Carpenter?) but whoever it is and FP Santangelo will seemingly go a minute or two without talking.  It's excruciating.  

No, I am not talking about their substance.  I don’t mind WHAT they have to say.  I just don’t think they get that it’s not TV.  We cannot see what’s going on.  Talking over the action does radio broadcast no good.

Just now, jtm said:

No, I am not talking about their substance.  I don’t mind WHAT they have to say.  I just don’t think they get that it’s not TV.  We cannot see what’s going on.  Talking over the action does radio broadcast no good.

Oh, I gotcha.  I've listened to some radio broadcasts in the car lately but haven't been put off by anything.  

6 minutes ago, jtm said:

I listened to game 1 on the Yankee network driving through NY & NJ.   I listened to the first 6 innings of game 2 on the O's network driving through Del. & MD until I got home.

I much prefer the Orioles' broadcasters!

But it is practically the first time in Oriole history that we don't really have a truly great announcer, be it an Angel or a Miller or a Thompson or a Harwell.  Certainly not someone with the ability to elevate even a bad, losing game to a work of art.   We've got some OK professional play by play guys, each with their quirks, who we have dissected to death on here.   And a rotating cast of color guys that change in and out so often it's hard to get continuity.

And the team sucks, which doesn't help at all.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Oh, I gotcha.  I've listened to some radio broadcasts in the car lately but haven't been put off by anything.  

I know the old saying is don’t ever follow a legend, and that’s part of the problem.  The O’s have had a long lineage of great radio broadcasters.  Any change was gonna be tough to swallow.  I just feel like the format of a play by play and a color guy can work, they are just not doing themselves.  But maybe I’m just suffering from Joe Angel withdrawal.  What I would give to just hear a “and this one’s....in the loss column.”

Archived