Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just think Salmon was an extremely good player.   Maybe a little underappreciated because he played on the West Coast, but consistently very good.    Better than Adam Jones.   Better than Nick Markakis.    Better than BJ Surhoff.   Better than Brady Anderson.    That level of good.   And Trey Mancini will not be nearly as good as those guys.    I’d be pleased if he had a career as good or better than Luke Scott’s.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just think Salmon was an extremely good player.   Maybe a little underappreciated because he played on the West Coast, but consistently very good.    Better than Adam Jones.   Better than Nick Markakis.    Better than BJ Surhoff.   Better than Brady Anderson.    That level of good.   And Trey Mancini will not be nearly as good as those guys.    I’d be pleased if he had a career as good or better than Luke Scott’s.

I dont think we will see Trey in the Orioles HOF.

He will have a decent career, just nothing to jump up and down over. IMO.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course, 4 is better than 8.5, especially if you have a 10 WAR player, then thats  85 million per year which is stupid, then again 40 million is stupid too. IMO

I was referring to what I thought Fangraphs had declared as their idea of what what 1 WAR should cost.

I know.

I'm not paying that for a 1b/dh.  Market is saturated with them.

Some guys I consider roughly comparable to Mancini, who played a while with the Orioles:

Gary Roenicke (15.4 WAR)

Luke Scott (11.9 WAR)

Curt Blefary (11.0 WAR)

Steve Pearce (10.8 WAR)

David Segui (10.4 WAR)

Jay Gibbons (5.5 WAR)

I think that’s about the range here.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some guys I consider roughly comparable to Mancini, who played a while with the Orioles:

Gary Roenicke (15.4 WAR)

Luke Scott (11.9 WAR)

Curt Blefary (11.0 WAR)

Steve Pearce (10.8 WAR)

David Segui (10.4 WAR)

Jay Gibbons (5.5 WAR)

Gary and his battle buddy Brother John brought back many found memories of watching them play ball. :)

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gary Roenicke (15.4 WAR)

Luke Scott (11.9 WAR)

Curt Blefary (11.0 WAR)

Steve Pearce (10.8 WAR)

David Segui (10.4 WAR)

Jay Gibbons (5.5 WAR)

Mancini reminds me of Jeff Conine. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some guys whom I consider roughly comparable to Mancini, who played a while with the Orioles:

Gary Roenicke (15.4 WAR)

Luke Scott (11.9 WAR)

Curt Blefary (11.0 WAR)

Steve Pearce (10.8 WAR)

David Segui (10.4 WAR)

Jay Gibbons (5.5 WAR)

I think that thats about the range here.  

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Gary and his battle buddy Brother John brought back many found memories of watching them play ball. ) :)

o

25 HR's, 64 RBI's, and that facemask that he work on his batting helmet ........ numbers and images that will be etched in my mind forever.

o

9 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Conine wasn't even a full time player until age 27.  Didn't know that.  But he was a much better LFer early in his career.

I actually considered putting Conine (19.5 WAR) on the list, but I don’t see Mancini reaching that level.    I’d be more than happy to be wrong about that.

• Upvote 1

“When the offseason hits, I’m going to look back at this year, and I hope I’ll be extremely appreciative for what happened, but it doesn’t change how hard it was,” Mancini said. “I don’t wish it upon anybody. I do think it’ll help me in the future for not letting things spiral out of control again. But I lost total feel for my swing, what I was doing. I just wasn’t able to make the adjustment. For some reason, since the All-Star break, I just got some confidence back.”

Once play resumed in Toronto, he put that into action. The second half began with a two-hit day against the Blue Jays, but an 0-for-4 showing followed.

“I remember going home to the hotel room that night,” he said. “Normally, I’d probably just lay down and think about the game and all this stuff, and I just kind of was like, ‘You know what? You have another game tomorrow. We had 66 games left at the All-Star break, so we had 64 more left. What are you going to do? There’s still time to salvage the end of this year and show your team and everybody that you’re the player that they think you are.’ That kind of, I think, helped to almost have that bad game right off the bat.”

“I think that’s going to be the next step for him. I’ve tried to talk to him about it, and so have [hitting coaches] Scott Coolbaugh and Howie Clark, as well. This game is so full of failure, he’s going to get better at dealing with it, and it’s going to help him as a player. When you’re in your first couple of years, him being in year two now, there’s not a lot of breathing room. At some point, it’s going to get a little easier for him.”

The results of his change in mental approach have coincided with a healthy knee, and he’s making more authoritative contact and hitting the ball to center and right-center field more often.

“When Trey is going really well, he’s able to power the ball to right-center field,” Joseph said. “It doesn’t mean he hits every ball there, but when he’s going good, he hits the ball to right-center field, and it’s got some thump on it. For me, you know he’s starting to feel really good when he does that, and he’s done that the past couple of weeks or so. But he’s a guy that doesn’t miss many good pitches over the plate. As those misses go down and turn into solid contact, that’s when you know he’s starting to come back around.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-trey-mancini-sunday-20180831-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

o

A solo shot tied the game against the Royals in the top of the 8th inning.

(vs. ROYALS, 9/01)

NUMBER 21

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

o