Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I fixed it for you.... I think many Orioles GMs has similar issues

Yes, yes....i have been on this board for awhile.   I understand and have bashed ownership as much as anyone.   My point is that I believe Dan gets too much of a pass as to EVERY decision that went right, somehow that is Dan being a genius but every decision that was foolish, then kick it up to Angelos.  I just don't happen to believe that narrative as much as some on this board. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Angelos had a long history of meddling 

IMO Pat Gillick and Frank Wren is all the proof you should need.

Nope...not buying it.    Just because someone has a long history of affairs does not necessarily mean that in the specific instance of this situation that they were obviously having an affair.  

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, just do me a favor and don’t tell Trey he’s “limited”.  He hates that.  He still thinks he has room to improve.  You know those driven “limited” types.  Just going out and exceeding the predictions of analyses and all.   His performance must just be “driven by luck” like you say, because analyses could certainly never be wrong or over value certain baseball players and under value other baseball players...oh no...

Trey is well aware that he can’t run and is limited on defense. He’s always trying to get better and that’s great, But bad is bad, and he knows it as well as anybody else. He might be a splendid DH/1st baseman for someone, but that limits him to American league teams, and all the potential playoff teams already have either a good first baseman, or a cheap first baseman. Tampa Bay might be interested. Trey is better than Gi Man Choi, But they’re not interested enough to give up anything meaningful for Trey. He’s almost 28, so he has a few years of meaningful offense ahead of him,  so he could be extended by a team, and that’s worth something, but not very much.

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Nope...not buying it.    Just because someone has a long history of affairs does not necessarily mean that in the specific instance of this situation that they were obviously having an affair.  

I think a move like Davies for Parra is a bit small potatoes for Angelos to have been involved in.

Just now, Philip said:

Trey is well aware that he can’t run and is limited on defense. He’s always trying to get better and that’s great, But bad is bad, and he knows it as well as anybody else. He might be a splendid DH/1st baseman for someone, but that limits him to American league teams, and all the potential playoff teams already have either a good first baseman, or a cheap first baseman. Tampa Bay might be interested. Trey is better than Gi Man Choi, But they’re not interested enough to give up anything meaningful for Trey. He’s almost 28, so he has a few years of meaningful offense ahead of him,  so he could be extended by a team, and that’s worth something, but not very much.

I hear you.  I just don't agree with you.  And neither does Trey.    It is the same analytic assumptions that said he wouldn't be productive at the big league level at all.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a move like Davies for Parra is a bit small potatoes for Angelos to have been involved in.

Maybe ... but it was well know that Peter wantedI to win the big one while he was the owner.

I think he put a tremendous amount of pressure on his GMs to do things his way.

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I hear you.  I just don't agree with you.  And neither does Trey.    It is the same analytic assumptions that said he wouldn't be productive at the big league level at all.  

OK, fair enough. I think he has already had an amazing career considering he was drafted, what, 209, something like that?  I’ve made it clear that I like guys who are good on both sides of the ball, and it appears that general managers are adopting the same mindset. Everybody would love to have him for free, and probably most people would be happy to pay his current salary, which remains reasonable. But it’s unlikely that anybody wants him enough to trade anything substantial for him. 

That may very well be why Mike is willing to accept guys who Still have so much development ahead, the current value may not be much, but he’s gambling that their value in the future will make the trade a success. That all remains to be seen, but it is a logical approach.