The First Fifteen

Kaven5

When does MASN and 105.7 start following the progress of the Orioles First Fifteen ?

Some of the guys have popped in and out of the bigs but, Villar is the only real player showing at this point. Seems kind of odd. Maybe I am not listening when the discussion occurs. I would soon expect daily reports on the fifteen guys the Orioles received for Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Britton, Brach and O'Day. 

Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Diaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Breyvic Valera (already gone), Dillon Tate, Cody Carroll, Josh Rogers, Brett Cumberland, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Bruce Zimmerman, Evan Phillips,Jean Carmona, Luis Ortiz and Jonathan Villar.  These are the First Fifteen Baby Birds. Let's follow them fans. I can't wait for these guys. Go Orioles.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I expect so, and that’s fine.   Aberdeen was a promotion from where he’d been in the Brewers system.

The Pioneer League is equal to the NY Penn League.  It was not a promotion.

9 hours ago, scOtt said:

Aberdeen is like high A, right? Maybe even a tick above it?

No.   Aberdeen is below Delmarva. Mostly populated with college guys who were just drafted, or players drafted/signed in previous years who played previously in the Gulf Coast League but weren’t good enough to jump to Delmarva from there.   

I'm not sure why you'd label them the "first" 15.  Obviously we had our own prospects already in the system, many of whom were/are better prospects than most of the guys we got back.  

Aside from that, I think many of us found the return we got to be generally underwhelming.  A lot of those guys aren't really much in terms of prospects and I wouldn't expect most of them to be part of the next competitive Orioles teams.  Which doesn't mean they're not worth following as a group, just that individually a lot of them are probably just filler.

11 hours ago, POR said:

The Pioneer League is equal to the NY Penn League.  It was not a promotion.

No it isn't. The Pioneer League is equal to the Appalachian League, a level below The NY Penn League and the Northwest League. Of course, the Orioles don't have a team at the Pioneer/Appalachian level, so they had no choice but to promote him or demote him to the Gulf Coast League.

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No it isn't. The Pioneer League is equal to the Appalachian League, a level below The NY Penn League and the Northwest League. Of course, the Orioles don't have a team at the Pioneer/Appalachian level, so they had no choice but to promote him or demote him to the Gulf Coast League.

Article about the Orioles ending their 53 year affiliation with Bluefield in 2010. Looks like this was an Andy Macphail decision.

And they no longer have a team at that level since then:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-08-orioles_out_of_bluefield-story.html

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

Article about the Orioles ending their 53 year affiliation with Bluefield in 2010. Looks like this was an Andy Macphail decision.

And they no longer have a team at that level since then:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-08-orioles_out_of_bluefield-story.html

Yup, truly a shame. I always heard great things about Bluefield too. Here is some good spon-con by Craig Calcaterra about Bluefield and the surrounding Southern West Virginia teams, and here is an article about the Bluefield Booster's Club by the same writer. There is just something that I romanticize about that level of the minors out in the middle of nowhere.

Archived