The Rubber Match (vs. ROCKIES, 5/26)

OFFNY

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What if they are talking about pork chops?

BTW, got a dry rubbed Boston Butt in the immersion cooker for dinner tonight.  23 hours at 165.  Baked apples and potato pancakes for the sides.

Well that's a whole different thing.  

Tell me how it comes out, I'd like to hear all about it.  Does immersion cooker = sous vide?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well that's a whole different thing.  

Tell me how it comes out, I'd like to hear all about it.  Does immersion cooker = sous vide?

Yes, the technique is called sous vide, the device is called an immersion cooker.

Trying a more herb heavy rub this time, hope I didn't over do it.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, the technique is called sous vide, the device is called an immersion cooker.

Trying a more herb heavy rub this time, hope I didn't over do it.

Which brand/model do you have?

I was thinking about getting one.  I want a slow cooker alternative to the crock pot.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Which brand/model do you have?

I was thinking about getting one.  I want a slow cooker alternative to the crock pot.  

900 watt Anova.

It's a bit overkill but I got a good deal on Black Friday a year and a half ago.

I don't use the bluetooth feature at all.

I suggest a dedicated cooking container with lid for it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Ok, awesome.  I might get one of these soon.  A buddy of mine swears by his, he loves it.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

900 watt Anova.

It's a bit overkill but I got a good deal on Black Friday a year and a half ago.

I don't use the bluetooth feature at all.

I suggested a dedicated cooking container with lid for it.

I'm doing hamhocks/shanks and beans again. New and improved version. Last time I used a packaged mix of "soup veggies". I bought separate veggies this time. Nasty yellow onions, baby carrots, celery (and the heart and ALL the leaves), 2 turnips, 2 parsnips, heirloom cherry tomatoes, parsley, thyme instead of dill. Much less cooking time this time, much less sauteeing, not soaking the beans (most of the small ones disappeared last time.)

1 hour ago, Philip said:

So, four-man bench? Or extra pitcher?

Evan Phillips today so a 3 man bench.

We can't possibly go with a 2 man bench tomorrow when we get back to the DH.   So there will be a pitcher sent down tomorrow to make room for a hitter.   Maybe Phillips after a one day stretch.

The question is... what hitter will come up tomorrow?   Mountcastle???

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm doing hamhocks/shanks and beans again. New and improved version. Last time I used a packaged mix of "soup veggies". I bought separate veggies this time. Nasty yellow onions, baby carrots, celery (and the heart and ALL the leaves), 2 turnips, 2 parsnips, heirloom cherry tomatoes, parsley, thyme instead of dill. Much less cooking time this time, much less sauteeing, not soaking the beans (most of the small ones disappeared last time.)

Isn't it getting a bit warm for that?

I normally only cook bean centric dishes when it's temperate out.

We're solidly in the 90's down here this week.

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

LOL Hess in Denver.  And here's Hyde saying in the pregame presser that you don't wanna put players in bad spots.

Hess will be lucky to get out of the 3rd. 

And as I pointed out in the lineup thread, Straily is probably the primary long man if Hess goes out early today.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Evan Phillips today so a 3 man bench.

We can't possibly go with a 2 man bench tomorrow when we get back to the DH.   So there will be a pitcher sent down tomorrow to make room for a hitter.   Maybe Phillips after a one day stretch.

The question is... what hitter will come up tomorrow?   Mountcastle???

Have to wait and see if any teams DFA someone tonight.

Archived