Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

Now that the draft is just a few days away, it’s time for everyone to weigh in officially with who they want the O’s to draft at 1-1.   As a refresher, here’s a link to Luke’s scouting reports on the top candidates:  http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/05/28/mlb-draft-primer-2019-the-first-round/

Obviously, some of us might say, “I’m in favor of whoever Elias thinks is the best pick.”    And, financial considerations could come into play if the O’s think there’s a good option to sign someone at a discount at 1-1 and use that money to fund overslot picks in the subsequent rounds.    But let’s just keep it simple: who is the player you’d be happiest about when the name is called on Monday night?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I'm hoping for Witt...take the slightly younger guy as we have several years before contending. Of course, he could always be harder to sign than Rutschman because he could go to college. 

They'll both be easy to sign and neither should require full 1-1 slot. 

I'm strongly behind Rutschman, though picking Witt would be understandable. If the 'well under-slot' scenario plays out and someone other than the Top Two gets selected, I'll be quite disappointed, but root like crazy for whomever it is (and those added later with the savings) and remain faithful to Elias' process. I'm very excited to see how Elias' first draft plays out. I know I'm not alone! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I'm hoping for Witt...take the slightly younger guy as we have several years before contending. Of course, he could always be harder to sign than Rutschman because he could go to college. 

If they rebuild with the right pieces, it may not be "several" years before they contend again.

Drafting high school players are usually a higher risk then somebody at the higher end of the college level.

13 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Of course the Orioles finally have a #1 pick, and the top overall player is a Catcher..... ugh.

If Rutschman is the real deal, he will only be in the minors for what 1.5 years?

What's wrong with a catcher?  Johnny Bench played games at First Base, Third Base and outfield so he could play more games in a season.  Joe Mauer was DH for a significant amount of games. 

I feel like you cant go wrong with the top 3: Rutschman, Witt and Vaughan, outside of Witt going to college instead.  If you have an idea Witt won't go play for Oklahoma, definitely a case to be made for him considering age.  We are in a great position here to not mess this up!!