There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is it really that important?   I know what happened with Hader last year, and I guess Trea Turner too.

But did that really have any effect on their careers?   A PR guy wrote some apologies for them and they moved on.   And I think any GM in baseball would try to get either one of those two guys on their team today if the opportunity presented itself.

If you can skip that heartache you do. My opinion. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

It was an internet sensation that subsided in a couple days or weeks.   If I thought someone had Hader/Turner level talent, I wouldn't let what those guys had on Twitter feeds from high school stop me from taking them.   [Note I did not make a blanket statement about anything on Twitter, just the level of stuff those guys had, in relatively small quantity as well.   And I'm not condoning anything they wrote, just saying the talent makes it far more than worth that little bit of hassle].    Aroldis Chapman and Addison Russell are employed in MLB, Bobby Cox is in the Hall of Fame, to me some immature HS kid quoting some rap songs or trying to antagonize or impress someone by using an offensive term, several years in the past, pales in comparison.

Good article here on Vaughn. I find it to be incredibly disappointing that the main criticism of him is his size, being right handed and being a first baseman. He seems to be the best hitter in the draft and I don't get why everyone is so vehemently against drafting him first. I think I'd be okay with either of the top three though I favor Vaughn over Witt just because he's coming out of high school and there's questions about him being able to hit at higher levels.

I don't really have my heart set on any one guy, but Vaughn is a very gifted hitter possibly more so than Rutschman. I really don't see any valid basis for dismissing him based on the things he's being dismissed for. Either he can hit or he can't and it's pretty obvious that he not only can but has a special gift for it. I would not be that disappointed if we picked him first. Overall though, I trust the guys in charge and that they will have a very good reason for selecting whoever they select in about 135 minutes or so.

I think the issue that hurts Vaughn is that both AR and BWJr play premium defensive positions and are considered plus defenders at those positions while Vaughn is at 1B.  I don't think Vaughn is being "dismissed" as much as the defensive values brought to the table by AR and BWJr more than offset Vaughn's hit tool - at least in the minds of evaluators.  

9 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Good article here on Vaughn. I find it to be incredibly disappointing that the main criticism of him is his size, being right handed and being a first baseman. He seems to be the best hitter in the draft and I don't get why everyone is so vehemently against drafting him first. I think I'd be okay with either of the top three though I favor Vaughn over Witt just because he's coming out of high school and there's questions about him being able to hit at higher levels.

I don't really have my heart set on any one guy, but Vaughn is a very gifted hitter possibly more so than Rutschman. I really don't see any valid basis for dismissing him based on the things he's being dismissed for. Either he can hit or he can't and it's pretty obvious that he not only can but has a special gift for it. I would not be that disappointed if we picked him first. Overall though, I trust the guys in charge and that they will have a very good reason for selecting whoever they select in about 135 minutes or so.

I am not a big fan of passing on up the middle guys for a one dimensional first baseman. Nothing against Vaughn 

I'd become a fan FA if they select Vaughn and I don't care if he was the best hitter. His size is a huge factor IMO...I've seen him listed at 5'11", 3 or 4 inches at 1st is important. Secondly, 1st is sort of a fallback position in most cases. We seem to end up with a lot of guys at that position!! Please no Vaughn!!

8 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

I am not a big fan of passing on up the middle guys for a one dimensional first baseman. Nothing against Vaughn 

Well, to be fair, Vaughn was on the Pac-12 All Defensive Team last season meaning he was one of the best defenders in the conference, so it seems he's far from being a liability at first and he also takes a ton of walks. He's not one dimensional at all really.

Anyways, it will be great when this is all over with. I almost want it to be Vaughn now just to see this place go nuts. May even get a 502 bad gateway error coming here because the gateway surely won't withstand the backlash. ? I would be surprised if we didn't take Rutschman, though. It would surely accompany an explanation.

3 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Well, to be fair, Vaughn was on the Pac-12 All Defensive Team last season meaning he was one of the best defenders in the conference, so it seems he's far from being a liability at first and he also takes a ton of walks. He's not one dimensional at all really.

Anyways, it will be great when this is all over with. I almost want it to be Vaughn now just to see this place go nuts. May even get a 502 bad gateway error coming here because the gateway surely won't withstand the backlash. ? I would be surprised if we didn't take Rutschman, though. It would surely accompany an explanation.

Does it?  I mean, I don't know, maybe it does.  I don't know how to grade Pac-12 All Defensive Team.

They said Grenier was the top defensive player in the nation last year and from what I have heard he hasn't been impressive.

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I agree with you people here are underrating Vaughn.    I’d still rather pick Rutchman, but if we look back in 10 years and Vaughn has turned out to be Goldschmidt or Freeman, it won’t shock me.   

47 minutes ago, weams said:

We were all kids at some point that said dumb stuff to be funny.  Kids now have the record displayed for the world to see.  Advisors, parents, teams should have players clear things.  While some things should be noted and/or players removed from draft boards for some things, I think helping them grow up and pre-emptively remove questionable things is ok too.

Edit: to fix silly phone auto corrects

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it?  I mean, I don't know, maybe it does.  I don't know how to grade Pac-12 All Defensive Team.

They said Grenier was the top defensive player in the nation last year and from what I have heard he hasn't been impressive.

You may be right there as I don't really know either and am just trying to find as much info as I can. There really isn't a lot being said about his defense as it's all being overshadowed by his offensive prowess, but he did make the all defensive team for whatever it's worth.

Archived