2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I sure hope it doesn't take 9 years to compete. If so, Elias will be gone. 

Me too!  I'd love to be wrong.  And I do support management, though I am not in tuned enough to know how independent it is from ownership.

I'll just never get over the wasted international signing bonus fiasco, among many many other things --not trying to begin a discussion on that.  Basically, we start from 0 and 1 is far away.  I'll hope, though!

32 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

A few days.

If he pays attention to baseball, it won't take long at all.

Have classroom discussions, talk to his pitcher, and let him make mistakes and the minor league coaches will let him know.

Coaches shouldn't be calling pitches unless they are IBB, HBP, PO, etc.  Coaches should be discussions approaches, not pitches per se.  Unless it goes like "Player 1" REALLY can't hit a curveball.

I die a little bit inside when I see catches looking over for pitch (not alignment) calls.  

Very very very teachable skill.  It becomes intuitive.  

He call every pitch as an Oriole.  Then have discussion.

Ben McDonald says that when he was a rookie and a young Chris Hoiles was catching him, Cal Riplen called the pitches from shorstop.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nice pick by Elias, I was concerned about some Orioles-like shenanigans were going to happen based on the rumblings. Glad to see those days are indeed over.

The "rumblings" probably came from some second tier employee in the Royals organization dropping hints to a "reporter" (i.e. tweeter) from some site like Bleacher Report, and the social media echo chamber bumped it up the Richter scale a few notches.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ben McDonald says that when he was a rookie and a young Chris Hoiles was catching him, Cal Riplen called the pitches from shorstop.

I've heard the same story--and while it may be true to some degree--I just don't buy it at face value.

Ripken was an advanced scout on the field, so I'm sure he found an unobtrusive way to may suggestions.  Or, perhaps, Hoiles sometimes worked off Cal's positioning.  I wish I could have learned from Cal :)

1 minute ago, Catch 8 said:

I've heard the same story--and while it may be true to some degree--I just don't buy it at face value.

Ripken was an advanced scout on the field, so I'm sure he found an unobtrusive way to may suggestions.  Or, perhaps, Hoiles sometimes worked off Cal's positioning.  I wish I could have learned from Cal :)

It really surprised me when I read it last week, I posted it on the board wondering if people would see it as being as unusual as I did, but no one commented on it.   The logistics of it seem difficult to me.

21 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

Can I say no one likes catchers on this forum more than I do?

The catcher's role on a competing or very-soon-to-be-competing team is invaluable.  Both catchers, but especially the starter.

This said, Adley is 22 when P/C report for S/T next season.

The man played football and, correct me if I'm wrong, he caught his whole life.  The latter means you catch a double-header is tough-to-catch pitcher enters game two--or perhaps you catch everything.

His knees will be fine for a while.  I love a big-time offensive catcher who plays great behind the plate.  I am excited to evaluate his receiving, footwork, blocking hips, decision-making, etc.

But when are we going to be ready for contention?  How old will Adley be then?  Approaching 30?  

I wouldn't say no to this player either, but I do fear we get the best of him--best case--when we begin to make somewhat of a push.

Leadership can be a big thing.  I've heard people say "such and such is a great leader," but there aren't THAT many GREAT leaders.  If he is a GREAT leader--as suggested from his college stories--that in and of itself at his position is worth it.

And every minute he catches in the minors is a minute he isn't catching where we ultimately need him.

A lot to like, based on anecdotal evidence and the respect I have for Tony, et all.

Of course, by virtue of the position we are in--i.e., worst team and farm on the planet--there is also not a lot to like.  

But this is something to like, even if we expected/needed it.

If the rebuild goes as it's supposed to go, I'd say we'll be competing for the playoffs in Adley's 25-26 season onward.   Probably his second season of six with us.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doesn't call pitches right?  Realistically how long does it take to develop that skill set?

Oh, maybe high school....I am so f'ed tired about "that skill set"..the catcher sees how the batter reacts to pitches better than anyone...If a catcher depends on calls from the bench, he's not a catcher. IMO, the coaches teaches tendencies, the catcher "sees"...if he isn't allowed to put 2 + 2 together, then he is not a player. A true teacher (coach) fosters independence, not authoritarianism, and welcomes the transition, not codependence.