2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

I'm of the view that as long as his knees are healthy, keep him at catcher.  There's such a competitive advantage to having a 2-way catcher, and if he really projects to be as good (or better?) than Posey - he projects as an MVP candidate type player based on him being a catcher.  And he's apparently not a super-athlete in the Posey or Dale Murphy or Craig Biggio mold, so he's not going to automatically excell at another position.  

Very pleased he's the pick.  Keep him at what he is - a catcher.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'm of the view that as long as his knees are healthy, keep him at catcher.  There's such a competitive advantage to having a 2-way catcher, and if he really projects to be as good (or better?) than Posey - he projects as an MVP candidate type player based on him being a catcher.  And he's apparently not a super-athlete in the Posey or Dale Murphy or Craig Biggio mold, so he's not going to automatically excell at another position.  

Very pleased he's the pick.  Keep him at what he is - a catcher.  

Agreed. Also allows us to “build out from the plate” (i.e. be strong up the middle). Next up- identifying our SS, and CF of the future...

The Tennessean is the local paper out here in the provinces.  Sportswriter Nicklaus Gray had the following to say about the Orioles' first round pick:

1. Baltimore Orioles | Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State

Grade: B

Instant analysis: Don't like the Buster Posey comparison for Rutschman, and he gets the benefit of the lack of elite talent in this draft. Rutschman's bat is above average as a switch hitter, but I don't see the high power projection. He has struggled against velocity. He will, however, command a pitching staff and has a strong arm. If he has 10-15 homers a season and is in contention for a Gold Glove every year, that will be a win for the Orioles.

Call 'em like you see 'em Nick...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/06/03/mlb-draft-2019-picks-grades-live-results/1334448001/

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The Tennessean is the local paper out here in the provinces.  Sportswriter Nicklaus Gray had the following to say about the Orioles' first round pick:

Instant analysis: Don't like the Buster Posey comparison for Rutschman, and he gets the benefit of the lack of elite talent in this draft. Rutschman's bat is above average as a switch hitter, but I don't see the high power projection. He has struggled against velocity. He will, however, command a pitching staff and has a strong arm. If he has 10-15 homers a season and is in contention for a Gold Glove every year, that will be a win for the Orioles.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/06/03/mlb-draft-2019-picks-grades-live-results/1334448001/

I saw that as well, but it is based on older reports before he worked on his swing. I do not think he struggles with velocity now like he did as a Freshman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

LOL, I'm dying. Smartest baseball analyst no one has heard of, some of the other capsules are really funny too.

39 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

LOL, I'm dying. Smartest baseball analyst no one has heard of, some of the other capsules are really funny too.

My instant analysis is that the capsules were written by 2016-generation AI software with English as its second language.