2019 2nd round pick (42): Gunnar Henderson - SS - John T. Morgan Academy (AL)

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I might have missed this question already being answered, but if he does not sign with us and goes on to Auburn, would we get a compensation pick for that? Or is that only apply to first round picks?

I think the first three picks are protected. 

2 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

How does he compare to Mountcastle when he was drafted? Talking about him as a hitter, not as a fielder. Obviously Henderson being rated as a plus-arm means he can stay on left side of infield and have greater defensive value. 

I see big HS shortstop with bat speed and gap power and think Mountcastle. 

Henderson has a more compact swing but doesn’t quite have the bat speed or natural loft Mountcastle had. Obviously a better defensive profile. He’s also much less of a year round baseball guy than Mountcastle, big time basketball player and a pitcher too.  

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-gunnar-henderson-mlb-draft-20190603-story.html

Elias is confident we sign Henderson.  I guess the question is whether we will have $ for one more overslot guy.  

If Henderson is asking for first round $ or above, that would put his asking at $2.25M-(maybe) $2.75M with slot of $1.77M.  We would need to come up with about $750k to get to $2.5M.  Hopefully, we saved at least or about that much with AR.

I expect Stovers to sign for near slot.  

If we take four senior signs that should open up $ for one more overslot guy who I expect us to take with the first pick in the third round.  I like the projectable profile of a Dalquist if we could get his to his number.

TLDR

Young-for-the-class infielder (probably third base) with solid hit/power combo, no elite skills.

Full Report

Henderson has late helium to multiple teams in the teens but may fall more into the late 20s or 30s, which is where most scouts have him. He's shown performance at times, but faced weak competition this spring, so some clubs are still skeptical about the offensive ceiling. He's a shortstop for now, though he more likely shifts to third base down the line. But he's young-for-the-class and offers five tools that are 50 or 55.

From Fangraphs, which had him ranked 40th.

• Upvote 1

Really happy with this pick, but he's the opposite of Rutschman in terms of age and experience against top competition. This kid will take a minute to get here unless he really pops big, which I assume is possible. Probably a Mountcastle-like progression through the minors (e.g., 4-5 years).

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I agree. I just see a 17 year old kid and remember how long the developmental paths really are. It is what it is, but it's a reminder that the O's have to play the long game in building the best organization possible.

By the way, I think it’s possible that Mountcastle would have been pushed a little faster if his defense had been better.    Still, I’m fine with HS guys basically moving one level at a time.