2019 2nd round pick (42): Gunnar Henderson - SS - John T. Morgan Academy (AL)

OK here’s a strategy question:

Let’s say the draft is very weak, but next year’s is strong and deep. How feasible is it to deliberately take somebody you know will not sign, you choose them, they say “no I’m going to college,” you say,”Ooops, so sad“ so that you can get an extra selection in the following draft, where you are more likely to get a stronger player even if your pick is later?

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

Let’s say the draft is very weak, but next year’s is strong and deep. How feasible is it to deliberately take somebody you know will not sign, you choose them, they say “no I’m going to college,” you say,”Ooops, so sad“ so that you can get an extra selection in the following draft, where you are more likely to get a stronger player even if your pick is later?

I think the value you lose by delaying the selection makes it a net loss.

Agree with all above.  This really is a tremendous talent to land in Round 2.  Very few knocks in multiple write-ups.  Appears to be potentially "legit above average hit and power guy".  Love the size, frame, athleticism and that Henderson is young for his age.  It's three or four years out (or more), but having corner, middle of the lineup, infielders in Henderson and Mountcastle plus AR, Hays and Diaz in Bmore is a sufficient talent base to form a competitive team.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, Philip said:

Teams don't do this on purpose, because there are so many unknowns about next year's draft class, but some teams are fine with taking a guy who isn't committed to signing because worst case scenario they get another shot the following year. 

You want Henderson to sign though, he's a good player to get at 42 in any draft. 

This draft wasn't weak, I know that reporting is out there, but it's just lazy. It was actually really strong at the top. It's just missing much high end pitching. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Teams don't do this on purpose, because there are so many unknowns about next year's draft class, but some teams are fine with taking a guy who isn't committed to signing because worst case scenario they get another shot the following year. 

You want Henderson to sign though, he's a good player to get at 42 in any draft. 

This draft wasn't weak, I know that reporting is out there, but it's just lazy. It was actually really strong at the top. It's just missing much high end pitching. 

As always, thank you for your insight.

Braden Shewmake was the 21st pick (by Atlanta), and he seems to be in the same mold as Henderson - a big SS who's likely going to out-grow SS and move to 3B - but from reading about the 2 of them, I'm not sure Shewmake should have been taken ahead of Henderson.  Seems to me the O's got 1st round value there.  If Shewmake was there at 42, would the O's still have taken Henderson?