2019 2nd round pick (42): Gunnar Henderson - SS - John T. Morgan Academy (AL)

Gunner Henderson on verge of signing.

logo image

MLB Draft Signings: 6/23/19

June 23rd, 2019 at 10:42pm CST • By Mark Polishuk

Here’s a look at the latest noteworthy draft signings, with the newest moves at the top of the post.  Click here for the full list of slot values and draft pool bonuses, and you can find prospect rankings and scouting reports from Baseball America’s Top 500 Fangraphs’ Top 200MLB.com’s Top 200, and the Top 50 of ESPN.com’s Keith Law….

• Gunnar Henderson, the first pick of the second round (42nd overall), has decided to sign with the Orioles and will officially do so in a few days’ time, Maria Martin of WSFA 12 News reports (Twitter link).  Contract terms aren’t known, though the 42nd overall pick has a recommended slot price of $1,771,100 and Baltimore’s offer might well have exceeded that number to get Henderson to break his commitment to Auburn.  Henderson was ranked by MLB.com as the 27th-best prospect of the class, with BA (30th), Fangraphs (40th) and Keith Law (42nd) also giving high grades to the Alabama high schooler.  Henderson is praised for his hitting potential and some scouts feel he can remain at shortstop, though there is some thought that a move to third base is inevitable.
  • Upvote 1

This signing was mostly a matter of time and if there was a pre-draft number perhaps as high as $2.7M and $3.0M.  Otherwise, if one looks at where Henderson was rated, I think the $2.2M-$2.3M range where I put him earlier in this thread was entirely appropriate.  There is tremendous upside with this pick.  Again, very pleased with taking Henderson with this pick.  Sounds like this opens the door to getting one of the late HSers - a very strong development.

Yup, a matter of team, but it's great that it didn't last longer, and he can get his pro career started.  If I'm reading this kid right, he can't wait.  I think he's going to make the O's look good - and that hasn't happened enough.   

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

This signing was mostly a matter of time and if there was a pre-draft number perhaps as high as $2.7M and $3.0M.  Otherwise, if one looks at where Henderson was rated, I think the $2.2M-$2.3M range where I put him earlier in this thread was entirely appropriate.  There is tremendous upside with this pick.  Again, very pleased with taking Henderson with this pick.  Sounds like this opens the door to getting one of the late HSers - a very strong development.

His one coach said he would sign with Baltimore because he'd get a million over slot. 

• 2 weeks later...