2019 2nd round pick (42): Gunnar Henderson - SS - John T. Morgan Academy (AL)

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

How does he compare to Mountcastle when he was drafted? Talking about him as a hitter, not as a fielder. Obviously Henderson being rated as a plus-arm means he can stay on left side of infield and have greater defensive value. 

I see big HS shortstop with bat speed and gap power and think Mountcastle. 

Similar bat profiles but there were a lot of questions about Mountcastle's defense. The weird thing was how many scouting reports said he wouldn't stick at SS, but had plenty of arm for 3B. WRONG!!!

I like this selection. Sounds like a pretty good athlete for a big kid. Hopefully can stick at 3B if he grows out of SS.

We certainly need more impact infielders (SS/3B/2B) in our organization.  Biggest weakness in our system IMO.  We have mostly guys that project to be utility players at best right now, aside from maybe Adam Hall.  So hopefully Gunner can fill one of those holes for us eventually. 

Im thinking he could possibly be a tough sign. I hope he likes the orioles he said it’ll depend on the team and where he gets drafted. He’s committed to auburn where his older brother plays. It’s going to cost overslot I’m sure but not sure how much.