2019 2nd round pick (42): Gunnar Henderson - SS - John T. Morgan Academy (AL)

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Braden Shewmake was the 21st pick (by Atlanta), and he seems to be in the same mold as Henderson - a big SS who's likely going to out-grow SS and move to 3B - but from reading about the 2 of them, I'm not sure Shewmake should have been taken ahead of Henderson.  Seems to me the O's got 1st round value there.  If Shewmake was there at 42, would the O's still have taken Henderson?      

Shewmake wasn’t in the same tier as Henderson for me. Henderson has more raw pop at 17 than Shewmake at 21. There is more hit tool risk for the HS guy obviously, but Henderson has more pop, a better arm, and is just going to be a more physical athlete.

Atlanta’s draft was the most indefensible IMO. Shewmake and then Beau Phillips in the second round, no thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Shewmake wasn’t in the same tier as Henderson for me. Henderson has more raw pop at 17 than Shewmake at 21. There is more hit tool risk for the HS guy obviously, but Henderson has more pop, a better arm, and is just going to be a more physical athlete.

Atlanta’s draft was the most indefensible IMO. Shewmake and then Beau Phillips in the second round, no thanks.

Yeah, the Beau Phillips pick makes even less sense when you consider that was the pick they would have to give up if they signed Keuchell before the draft, and they basically threw that pick away!  From what I've read, many don't consider Phillips to even be a legit prospect. 

Thanks Luke.  Btw, I linked your pre-draft analysis to some Braves fans, and they were very impressed.  

• Upvote 2

I hope we get this done soon.  One gets the impression that Gunnar and his agent are waiting to see what pool $ exists for him and that may be holding up additional underslot signings - such as AR.  If AR were getting full slot, IMO, he would have signed by now.

Unless Henderson had some pre-draft number of $2.7M or so, I should think our current underslot $ that is available should be good enough to agree on a deal near $2.2-$2.3M.  

That could allow for the possibility of perhaps signing AR underslot  and getting perhaps $500k for one of the HSers we took in the last few rounds.  One can always hope our FO can squeeze an additional prospect out of the draft.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I hope we get this done soon.  One gets the impression that Gunnar and his agent are waiting to see what pool $ exists for him and that may be holding up additional underslot signings - such as AR.  If AR were getting full slot, IMO, he would have signed by now.

Unless Henderson had some pre-draft number of $2.7M or so, I should think our current underslot $ that is available should be good enough to agree on a deal near $2.2-$2.3M.  

That could allow for the possibility of perhaps signing AR underslot  and getting perhaps $500k for one of the HSers we took in the last few rounds.  One can always hope our FO can squeeze an additional prospect out of the draft.

Remember, we also have that five percent wiggle that the new regime may be fine in using. I know the history is that the Orioles have not. 

Just now, weams said:

Remember, we also have that five percent wiggle that the new regime may be fine in using. I know the history is that the Orioles have not. 

That is almost another 700k that can be offered without pick penalty. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, weams said:

That would really show me that we’re going above and beyond with the rebuild. I’m not saying to throw the money away, but make it a tough choice on one of the HS kids at the end of the draft. 

• Upvote 1