The Rubber Match (vs. ASTROS, 6/09)

OFFNY

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the radio, Brown and Johnson said they started saying Sahn-tahn-dare after they  asked him how to pronounce his name. Did the Orioles just think of that brilliant idea or did Santander change his preference? How they are saying it now is the far more common Spanish pronunciation. But then again, folks are often very easy going about their name. I know a guy who I called Kevin for years and years before it emerged that he preferred to be called 'KC" (for Kevin Chase), and it was the name he was called most of his life. When he first arrived the HR person introduced him by his legal name and he didn't feel like correcting anyone until it offhandedly came up like five years later.

So according to the Houston radio crew, Wade Miley was awful until he developed a cutter. Actually the way they tell the story is he was getting blasted in Tampa and told the catcher that he was going to start throwing cutters, the catcher said, “you don’t know how to throw a cutter “and he said, “I’m gonna figure it out right now”

It’s a great story, and it brings up the question of whether Baltimore management is still opposed to throwing cutters, or if that has gone by the wayside? 

Either way, I’ll never forgive him for being so awful here. On second thought, I forgive him, I don’t forgive the idiot who thought that he was a good acquisition.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

So according to the Houston radio crew, Wade Miley was awful until he developed a cutter. Actually the way they tell the story is he was getting blasted in Tampa and told the catcher that he was going to start throwing cutters, the catcher said, “you don’t know how to throw a cutter “and he said, “I’m gonna figure it out right now”

It’s a great story, and it brings up the question of whether Baltimore management is still opposed to throwing cutters, or if that has gone by the wayside? 

Either way, I’ll never forgive him for being so awful here. On second thought, I forgive him, I don’t forgive the idiot who thought that he was a good acquisition.

Why would the current regime have an issue with cutters?

What does Martin do well that impresses anyone within the organization? His glove hasn't been nearly as good as advertised, he doesn't hit well enough to cover up anything less than spectacular defense. I hear Mountcastle makes plays, he just doesn't have a 3B or SS arm. Can't Villar play SS and try Mountcastle at 2B?

Is that a realistic option?

Archived