John Means

hitandrun71

I am a fairly new retread to this site. I am very excited about John Means. I won't deny I hated a total rebuild. But Means has change my thinking a little. I live in Tampa so I haven't seen him live. I wonder, Is he a possible ace? I will go to the Trop when he pitches. Heck they may let me sit in O's dugout attendance is so bad( LOL) Thoughts

10 minutes ago, hitandrun71 said:

I am a fairly new retread to this site. I am very excited about John Means. I won't deny that I hated a total rebuild ........ but Means has change my thinking a little. I live in Tampa, so I haven't seen him live. I wonder, Is he a possible ace ??? I will go to the Trop when he pitches. Heck, they may let me sit in O's dugout because attendance is so bad( LOL.) Thoughts ???

o

I just doubled your reputation points with a single greenie.

o

The first (glass-half-full) comp that comes to mind is Johan Santana, who was a Rule 5 pick, then added 2 MPH on his fastball and became a CYA candidate for 6 years.  There's a lot of similarity there, from the unexplained velo increase to the fantastic changeup to the low walk rate, though Santana was 2 years younger . when he really broke through.  Pitchers in general have wacky aging curves, which mostly consist of "is your UCL, labrum, and rotator cuff still intact?  if yes then you won't age much.  If no then you'll fall off a cliff."  So the age probably means less than it would if he were a position player.  Still his max velocity is still a couple ticks lower than Santana in his prime, and velocity in general is easier to come by now, so he's probably not an ace.  Maybe a #2, or a very good mid-rotation guy on a strong staff.

22 minutes ago, hitandrun71 said:

I am a fairly new retread to this site. I am very excited about John Means. I won't deny I hated a total rebuild. But Means has change my thinking a little. I live in Tampa so I haven't seen him live. I wonder, Is he a possible ace? I will go to the Trop when he pitches. Heck they may let me sit in O's dugout attendance is so bad( LOL) Thoughts

I give it at least till middle of next year.Have seen guys have some success at the beginning and then flame out.You can probably sit in the Oriole dugout as well, except for Red Sox and Yankee games and a few giveaways. 

Archived