Buck back with the Yankees?

eddie83

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I just don't get the disdain towards Buck from some people, both on this forum and off.  Was he perfect?  Of course not.  But the man presided over the longest period of sustained winning for this franchise since the late '70's and early '80's.  Also, I always thought he was an excellent analyst during his time at ESPN.  I'll be rooting for his success in any job around baseball unless he takes a job as a manager or FO executive with a division rival of the O's.

Always liked Buck  when he did his Earl imitations.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I just don't get the disdain towards Buck from some people, both on this forum and off.  Was he perfect?  Of course not.  But the man presided over the longest period of sustained winning for this franchise since the late '70's and early '80's.  Also, I always thought he was an excellent analyst during his time at ESPN.  I'll be rooting for his success in any job around baseball unless he takes a job as a manager or FO executive with a division rival of the O's.

100%

I think some people felt that he'd worn out his welcome here because...well, he'd done that in previous positions, so it was only natural to badger him for that here.

I'm with you, though.  Buck was great, a big part of pulling this franchise out of the doldrums.  Went out on a terrible note, but that terrible note doesn't put any of the good that he did in any kind of shadow for me.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Agreed with everything here. It was definitely time for Buck and the organization to part ways, but fans should have nothing but kind words for this guy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I still have some unkind words about his decision to go with Ubaldo over Britton.

Eh, it was a bad move, but it was 3 years ago and I’m over it. I still take more umbrage with how the team managed four whole hits in 11 innings. I don’t know that the O’s would have scored again had the game gone 20.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Eh, it was a bad move, but it was 3 years ago and I’m over it. I still take more umbrage with how the team managed four whole hits in 11 innings. I don’t know that the O’s would have scored again had the game gone 20.

It was an all-time bad move.  Bonehead Merkle level stuff.

I have some unkind words for him about his decision to play GM, go over everyone's head to PA and lobby for Davis to be signed to the worst contract in Orioles history. He did wear out his welcome evidenced by the team quitting on him in 2017 and kept it going into 2018 which is the kind of player rebellion stuff that has happened to him in the past. We did get Rutschman, so it's not all bad. In his defense, if our FO wasn't so far removed from sanity, he would have never been allowed to meddle in the business of signing players and deciding who stays and goes to any degree.

Buck's ok, but was never a huge fan of him personally especially after the Britton debacle. I have no ill will towards him as far as his future goes, though. More power to him getting a job with the Yankees. I think he'd be great in the role of an analyst and should do well there.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was an all-time bad move.  Bonehead Merkle level stuff.

It was.....but the Os were not scoring again on that night.  Totally lost at the plate and as the game went on, they got worse.  Do they do O-Swing % stats by the game?  I remember thinking we were clueless offensively after the 6th inning. 

43 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I have some unkind words for him about his decision to play GM, go over everyone's head to PA and lobby for Davis to be signed to the worst contract in Orioles history. He did wear out his welcome evidenced by the team quitting on him in 2017 and kept it going into 2018 which is the kind of player rebellion stuff that has happened to him in the past. We did get Rutschman, so it's not all bad. In his defense, if our FO wasn't so far removed from sanity, he would have never been allowed to meddle in the business of signing players and deciding who stays and goes to any degree.

Buck's ok, but was never a huge fan of him personally especially after the Britton debacle. I have no ill will towards him as far as his future goes, though. More power to him getting a job with the Yankees. I think he'd be great in the role of an analyst and should do well there.

Isn't Singleton in his last year there?