Uh-Oh

wildcard

There might be a fly in the ointment.   Some of the changes that Elias/Hyde made may have shown up in the last two games.

Santander to right

Mancini to 1B

Alberto to 3B hitting against righties and lefties

Sisco being promoted and playing against righties/Severino vs lefties.  I know its not a strict platoon by these two guys may combine to be a good tandem at catcher.

Smith healthy.

Nunez has been there but with the other guys hitting it could be contagious.

Davis and Ruiz to the bench as backups along with Wilkerson.

Broxton and Martin providing defense up the middle.

The pitching is still bad and the will limit the wins but Eshelman may come up at some point  and Shepard is having some success as a starter in Norfolk.   Way too early to project what might happen with those two but its something to watch.

This team is supposed to lose all season.   What if it starts to win?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

There might be a fly in the ointment.   Some of the changes that Elias/Hyde made may have shown up in the last two games.

Santander to right

Mancini to 1B

Alberto to 3B hitting against righties and lefties

Sisco being promoted and playing against righties/Severino vs lefties.  I know its not a strict platoon by these two guys may combine to be a good tandem at catcher.

Smith healthy.

Nunez has been there but with the other guys hitting it could be contagious.

Davis and Ruiz to the bench as backups along with Wilkerson.

Broxton and Martin providing defense up the middle.

The pitching is still bad and the will limit the wins but Eshelman may come up at some point  and Shepard is having some success as a starter in Norfolk.   Way too early to project what might happen with those two but its something to watch.

This team is supposed to lose all season.   What if it starts to win?

WIldcard, get a hold of yourself. I wager you'll be turning on half the players you mentioned by August!

• Upvote 1

I think we were 5 or 6 games in when someone started a post about how exciting the team was and how they may over achieve.  I wrote that I was worried they would win too many games to not get a pick in the top 3 and I was lambasted for not enjoying the pretty good start to the season.  That said, I want Means to throw perfect games, Cashner to look like he did tonight so he can be traded, Bundy to throw 8 innings of one hit ball only for the bullpen to blow it.  I want key players to have success to be traded for the rebuild or prove they belong on the next winning team in 2021 or 2022, I want the team to lose just enough to get the top pick, and I want Sisco to absolutely tear the cover off the ball.  

It is a weird position to be in, but you have to embrace losing for the greater good of the future of this team.  The worst thing that could happen to this team is they go on a streak and finish the season with the 8th pick. 

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Nah, I'd rather have 1:1. A few extra wins means nothing and in fact hurts us in the draft. That's just the reality of this rebuild of ours. The more top picks we get, the faster we're back in the World Series where we belong.

Back to back 1:1's like the Nats had to get Harper and Strasburg, please.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

We win two 13-0 games and wildcard is thinking this is a turnaround.

Only Captain Sample Size could dream up a situation where this team turns on a dime and starts winning games, where guys like Tom Eshelman and Chandler Shepard (two guys half this board had never heard of 4 months ago) ride in to the rescue to save the season un#%&@ing this team enough to not get the 1:1 the following year.  

And I gotta hand it to him, the way he wrote that OP had me thinking this lineup was the second coming of the '27 Yankees.  I was almost....ALMOST a believer.  

KC is only 3 1/2 game ahead.  The O's have not secured the 1:1 pick.

You obviously want the #1 pick over a few extra wins.  However..... if those few extra wins are due to key players that our cost controlled, then it becomes a little more grey.  What if Mountcaslte starts hitting like a boss, or what if Akin comes up in the 2nd half and pitches well?  Can Hays get back on track, what if they bring Harvey up and he does well in the bullpen (if he stays healthy, they'd probably want to limit his innings... thus the bullpen. Next year he could start. Of course he has to stay healthy and get results)? Now do I expect all of these things to happen, no.  But some of it could. Now some of that "uninvited winning" can be shaved off through trades.  Cashner will certainly be dealt.  I don't know if they'll trade Bundy, but they might.  Unfortunately Givens stock has plummeted so we'll hold on to him.  Mancini probably wouldn't get traded unless it's a package too good to refuse.  In any case, yes I hope we get the #1 pick.  But, if key young players, cost controlled players that could be part of our future cause us to miss it, we'll I'm okay with that.  And we'll still get a high draft pick.  That said, I think the most likely scenario is do we get the #1 pick.  I just wanted to highlight the possible scenarios.

2 hours ago, Sessh said:

Nah, I'd rather have 1:1. A few extra wins means nothing and in fact hurts us in the draft. That's just the reality of this rebuild of ours. The more top picks we get, the faster we're back in the World Series where we belong.

ONE-ONE!!!!!