Generation OPS

Frobby

"If I wanted to hit .300, I'd hit .300," Astros third baseman Alex Bregman said. "It's an OPS game, though. It's about driving the baseball and getting on base, walks and extra-base hits. If it turned into an average game, I'd get the ball out of the air and hit line drives and hit .330.

“All the hitters care about now is OPS. We don't care about batting average. Some guys do, I guess. Batting average is an old stat that doesn't matter. It's OPS, runs created, WAR. Look at Mike Trout's numbers. There are guys that hit .340. Mike Trout is hitting, what, .300 on the dot? I'd rather have Mike Trout's numbers with all the walks and the damage than the guy who hits .340 [with a bunch of singles]. It's an OPS game."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27148938/generation-ops-how-powerful-young-all-stars-redefining-game

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I really wish OBP+ISO was popular, it's a better indicator of batting production than OPS as it eliminates the double counting of batting average.

It’s hard for it to be popular when it’s not published anywhere I know of.    

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s hard for it to be popular when it’s not published anywhere I know of.    

I came up with it a couple years ago, but I'd assumed someone else had already done it, because it's so simple and makes sense. I have it in my stats spreadsheets. 

Archived