Who is next?

mcloy

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So we still can't trade with the Nationals? Hopefully Elias will be able to trade with them.  So who made it a law that we can't trade with the Nationals?

The Nationals had a scout at Camden Yards over the weekend and they also like Givens for a bullpen that’s in constant repair, but there are the obvious challenges in getting the two sides to work out a deal. That’s a hard one to consummate.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/whos-the-next-orioles-player-to-be-traded.html

I'd be surprised if we traded with the Nationals until the MASN situation is resolved. And that could work both ways. Could be they were scouting the Rays.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So we still can't trade with the Nationals? Hopefully Elias will be able to trade with them.  So who made it a law that we can't trade with the Nationals?

The Nationals had a scout at Camden Yards over the weekend and they also like Givens for a bullpen that’s in constant repair, but there are the obvious challenges in getting the two sides to work out a deal. That’s a hard one to consummate.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/whos-the-next-orioles-player-to-be-traded.html

Not if Elias has "total control".

If the sons won't let him trade a reliever to the Nats it's going to be a long rebuild.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd be surprised if we traded with the Nationals until the MASN situation is resolved. And that could work both ways. Could be they were scouting the Rays.

If that’s the Orioles’ policy, then it’s just plain stupid.    Trade with whoever gives you the best deal.   Period.   

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I disagree, and his best, he is above average but nothing more, and he is rarely at his best. If there were a stat for “dumb move per game” I don’t think he’d lead the league(not while Beckham’s playing) but I bet he’d be in the top 5.

I don't know, it's not like Givens is super dependable out there. Risk of Villar gaffe vs Givens meltdown is about even. I don't think there will be a big market for either guy but I think they will both move.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Givens can bring back something.  Teams always need bullpen help and he striking out 12.8/9.  He's only making 2.15M and he's got two more years of team control.

Agreed. He probably won't command the orange-tinted top 50 prospect return that some expect, but he'll definitely net more than Cashner. 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I thought Elias hat carte blanche? There's no way he's writing off trading with a team if he thinks it will help improve our situation in 2-3 years. The Nationals could use both Mancini and Givens. They could play Mancini primarily at 1B and cut Parra. Any chance that package would be enough to net Kieboom? Not that it really matters for this team, but he's young and MLB ready (but blocked). 

Someone like Luis Garcia (SS) might interest Elias a bit more because he's younger (19). Last I checked he was ranked in the 60s on the top 100 prospect list. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

So what does this mean , which he wrote earlier this morning? Is this cryptic code?

but there are the obvious challenges in getting the two sides to work out a deal. That’s a hard one to consummate.

It just means the two sides are real keen to talk to each other, probably. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, weams said:

I love some of the young players in their system. I really hope we can find a fit. I imagine they might have some interest in Givens with Alvarez being out for quite awhile. I'm not sure about our other trade chips. They already have the DH spot clogged up with Garcia so that might rule out Mancini. They could definitely use some more pop in that lineup though. Outside of B.Lowe they really don't have a legit HR guy.