Who is next?

mcloy

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Givens is much more likely than Mancini.  1B/corner OFers/DH's just are not in high demand.  And Givens is on a roll - people understand that he's playing in a bandbox at home and had a couple of bad games that inflated his ERA - he's been dynamic on the road and is on his way to being a legit closer.  12.8 SO's per inning seals the deal.  Even Villar has more chance of being traded than Mancini, imo.  His numbers are actually a bit better on the road than at home.    

Givens has some pretty good numbers.  I don't think teams put as much stock in current season stats as we think.  Especially ERA.  Givens has a good track record, cheap salary, and good stats deeper than ERA.  

I don't mind Elias trading players.  But can the O's get something in return the next time.

I understand they had to trade Cashner.

But they don't have to trade Givens, Mancini or Bundy.  So hold out for something good or don't trade them.

I don't think they pay 7m for Villar next season so he probably has to go one way or another.   So I don't think they need to get as much in return.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't mind Elias trading players.  But can the O's get something in return the next time.

I understand they had to trade Cashner.

But they don't have to trade Givens, Mancini or Bundy.  So hold out for something good or don't trade them.

I don't think they pay 7m for Villar next season so he probably has to go one way or another.   So I don't think they need to get as much in return.

How could you possibly know whether either of the players we got in the Cashner deal will be any good?

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

How could you possibly know whether either of the players we got in the Cashner deal will be any good?

We don't but based on research I did in the DSL thread, 3% of DSL players make the majors. So like, don't start holding your breath or anything. If they were really good players, they'd likely start in a domestic rookie league like most top flight international guys have historically.

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Well, the way I look at it, one guy was pay 275k to sign and the other 80k.   If they were in the Amateur  draft that might be a 10th rounder and a 15th rounder.   How many 10 and 15 rounders make it to the majors?   Its the longest of long shots from that viewpoint.

Just now, wildcard said:

Will the way I look at it, one guy was pay 275k to sign and the other 80k.   If they were in the Amateur  draft that might be a 10th rounder and a 15th rounder.   How many 10 and 15 rounders make it to the majors?   Its the longest of long shots from the viewpoint.

In other words, you have no idea.

And how you correlate the bonus money that 16-year old international players are paid with what drafted players get is beyond me. I don't think those numbers have anything to do with each other. 

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

In other words, you have no idea.

And how you correlate the bonus money that 16-year old international players are paid with what drafted players get is beyond me. I don't think those numbers have anything to do with each other. 

You don't.  I do.