Givens market heating up

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Givens is a fairly similar pitcher to Will Smith and the Brewers got back Andrew Susac (26 year old AAA catcher) and Phil Bickford (21-year-old 1st round pick by the Giants from the previous year) a few years ago . I think that's the type of package the O's can get back for Givens. One interesting prospect in A-ball and a middling organizational guy in the upper minors. 

One team’s middling organizational guy is our #1 SP

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like he’s trying to build the organization up. I’m pretty sure all the pitchers that signed were College seniors and juniors. They’re getting results right now. They should give Delmarva a good staff next year. 

Yup, we only drafted one high school pitcher, and he didn’t sign.   I have a feeling that will change next year.   Also, Elias mentioned that our DSL crop was pitcher-heavy.  

26 minutes ago, Philip said:

Nobody wants Villar unless he’s free. He’s going to be non-tendered because his arbitration salary will be too high, so he’s a rental, and he plays bad fundamental baseball. No contending team wants him.

He wouldn't bring back much agreed. But Kinsler is a replacement level player and Villar would be an upgrade 

After the Cashner trade, I have adjusted my expectations in trades. Elias will not be doing anything that’ll make us feel excitement right now. It’ll be filling in the cracks of the foundation of the farm system and be mostly nothing. I completely expect the two players from the Cashner trade to pan out to be absolutely nothing. But at the time we want the optics of an active Dominican outreach and we will see him filling in the gaps with other teams nobodies. Givens will not net a top 100 prospect and IMO its highly unlikely we even get a top 10 prospect from another team. Elias has primed me for disappointment in the name of forward progress. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Phillies, Braves, D-Backs, Padres scouted him on Tuesday.

I definitely think that some teams will weigh his team control more heavily than others. That might create a market that's more heated than what we might expect just based on his results this year.

With that said, I think the Orioles are also one of those teams. We're not being held at gunpoint here. Elias will get a trade he wants or he'll simply keep Givens. Now, what Elias wants probably differs significantly from what BA/BP put on their top prospect lists. I think he wants guys that may be on the national guys radars (at best), but have not played enough to warrant a ton of hype yet. That return might disappoint many on this site, but I'd operate under the assumption (like I did with the Cashner trade) that Elias is targeting guys who fit well into what he wants to add to the organization.

2 hours ago, orioles119 said:

How about Givens to the Padres for Ty France and Logan Allen?

That would be a haul and I honestly don't expect it to be that much. Allen by himself is a very nice piece top 100 guy(73 on most recent BA list) and MLB ready. 

• Upvote 1

So I get some people don't like the Cashner deal, but I personally think Givens will still be a better return.  Part of my reasoning?  I'd rather trade for Givens then Cashner.

Cheaper contract (although the O's did pay that...), Control and I think there is a higher upside.  I feel like overuse and 4-5 out saves are part of his struggles this year.  I'd want him as a setup guy, who could close if needed. 

It may not be a huge difference in haul, but I still expect better.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's have at it, OH!  What Top 100 prospect do you guys think we can pry away from any of these teams only to be left empy handed with a AAAA third baseman?

I would take nothing less than THREE top 100 prospects! No, make that FOUR top 100 prospects and the other team has to fill the soda machine all season. 

?

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's have at it, OH!  What Top 100 prospect do you guys think we can pry away from any of these teams only to be left empy handed with a AAAA third baseman?

Phillies-  Irvin, Maton, and Seabold

Braves- De La Cruz, D Hernandez, and J Walker

D-Backs - Tabor, Barrosa, and Peacock

Padres- Marcano, France, and Cantillo

none are in any teams top 10 and most are lower rated in the 20s