Tanner Scott

weams

15 hours ago, weams said:

And I prefer the Scott types. But I sure enjoy watching a game with you.

Well appreciate Scott and Wells because they are currently two of the very few P prospects having decent years.  Throw is Chricton, Yacabonis and Long and that's the system.  

I say let Scott dominate AA a bit more.  He really hasn't had long stretches of this in his career, results wise.  I like the idea of keeping him doing these 3 IP stints rather than being the 7th guy in the MLB pen.  However, he could be a real weapon for us later this year.  

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well appreciate Scott and Wells because they are currently two of the very few P prospects having decent years.  Throw is Chricton, Yacabonis and Long and that's the system.  

I say let Scott dominate AA a bit more.  He really hasn't had long stretches of this in his career, results wise.  I like the idea of keeping him doing these 3 IP stints rather than being the 7th guy in the MLB pen.  However, he could be a real weapon for us later this year.  

When they are 20 games back? I'd rather they keep him in the minors and let him get some more experience in throwing strikes.

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don't forget Ryan Meisenger and his 155/34 career SO/W ratio.  The O's system is HORRIBLY short on starting pitching talent.  That could improve significantly by the end of the season IF... Sedlock and Akin get back on track and Hunter Harvey is able to start his comeback successfully.  Still... they got nothin' in the upper minors.  Not sure that's excusable.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Don't forget Ryan Meisenger and his 155/34 career SO/W ratio.  The O's system is HORRIBLY short on starting pitching talent.  That could improve significantly by the end of the season IF... Sedlock and Akin get back on track and Hunter Harvey is able to start his comeback successfully.  Still... they got nothin' in the upper minors.  Not sure that's excusable.  

Meisenger is one of my favorite guys to follow because my brother went to Radford.  We thought we had deep pitching depth at Norfolk, but now it's just looking like a bunch of filler.  You could probably trade Bowie's pitching staff with Norfolk's and get better results.  

Dietz had a good start last night too.  I'm not counting Sedlock and Akin out.  I'm definitely looking forward to Harvey coming back around August.  

Right now Scott is pretty much all we have to feel good about in the upper minors pitching wise.  If he keeps doing this I wonder if he'll crack any top 100 lists or get a futures game invite?  

One of the fringe guys I'm excited about is Lucas Long, he's got surprisingly good stuff for a guy who doesn't make prospect lists.  He's always had good results as a starter and has been promoted a level each year.  His heavy fastball gets GBs, he's never had an xFIP over 3.31 and he's dominating AA this year.  I think he could be a solid multi-inning reliever or swing starter right now.

• Upvote 1

o

0 Walks, and an outstanding Strikes-to-Balls ratio (27 Strikes, 11 Balls.)

9 OUTS: )  4 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 2 Flyouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT )))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 6/02)

IP:;)..l) 3))

H:))ll.)  3 ll (3 Singles)

R:l))l.lll 0

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 0

Pitches: l) 38 )(27 )Strikes, )11 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.64 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.121 )(AA-Bowie) )  33 IP (37 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .143 )(AA-Bowie) )  15 for 105

PITCHES BY INNING 

17 ll(11 llStrikes, l 6 .lBalls)

91 l.(71 llStrikes, 2 llBalls)

12 ..(91 llStrikes, .l3 l.Balls)

o

Just to add numbers to the comparisons: Randy Johnson hit the majors full time in 1989 and in 1991 had a walk rate of 6.8 and in 1992 6.2.  After that he tended to be under 4.  Nolan Ryan hit the majors full time in 1968.  In 1970 he was at 6.6 and in 1971 at 6.9.  In 1977 he hit 6.1.  Not until 1980 did he go below 4.  Does this mean anything?--Only that maybe you don't wait until they have control problems solved before you bring them up.

• Upvote 1

o

Opponents are batting .139 (16 for 115) for the season off of Scott

9 OUTS: )  3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Reading, 6/08)

IP:;)..l) 3))

H:))ll.)  1 ll (1 Single)

R:l))l.lll 0

BB:lllll)

SO:l)l.l 3

Pitches: l) 42 )(31 )Strikes, )11 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  1.50 )(AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.083 )(AA-Bowie) )  36 IP (39 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .139 )(AA-Bowie) )  16 for 115

PITCHES BY INNING 

12 ll(91 llStrikes, . 3 .lBalls)

18 l.(13 llStrikes, . 5 llBalls)

12 ..(91 llStrikes, ..3 llBalls)

o

From the trend in the numbers OFFNY posts, it appears Scott is putting things together. Answering the question of whether giving him a shot in the O's bullpen this year is a good idea, is something I'll leave to people who have actually seen him and the  alternatives in person. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm because it seems like every team can bring someone out of the bullpen throwing 98+. The Pirates most recently had a big lefthander who wad throwing gas. Few of these guys become Randy Johnson. For now, it's nice to dream that Scott could.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

From the trend in the numbers OFFNY posts, it appears Scott is putting things together. Answering the question of whether giving him a shot in the O's bullpen this year is a good idea, is something I'll leave to people who have actually seen him and the  alternatives in person. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm because it seems like every team can bring someone out of the bullpen throwing 98+. The Pirates most recently had a big lefthander who wad throwing gas. Few of these guys become Randy Johnson. For now, it's nice to dream that Scott could.

He's been more steady of late, which is good. I'm still a proponent of not rushing him. Let him keep working, let him keep getting better.

This team is not a Tanner Scott away from great success. No need to make the call until he's completely ready.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

He's been more steady of late, which is good. I'm still a proponent of not rushing him. Let him keep working, let him keep getting better.

This team is not a Tanner Scott away from great success. No need to make the call until he's completely ready.

I tend to agree.    However, it's definitely worth noting that in his last 7 appearances spanning 21 innings, he's only walked 8 batters, compared to 15 walks in his first 15 innings.    

I think the concept of pitching him every fifth day for three innings at a time was brilliant, and I'd continue that for a while longer.   But at the end of the day, he's not going to be used that way in the major leagues, and I'd rather have him adjust to being used more like a normal reliever at the minor league level before we start using him at random times at the major league level.

And there's part of me that is still tempted to see if he could be a starting pitcher, since he seems to like the every fifth day routine and his walks are coming down.   His last three outings have been very pitch-efficient (33, 38 and 42 pitches) and if he keeps that up, I might try it.

• Upvote 1

The O's have been amazingly consistent in how they use Scott.  All 12 of his appearances this season have been 3 inning starts.  He has a fastball and a slider, and if his curveball is as good as some here have said, maybe it does make sense to see if he can go 4 innings and then 5.  But if they think he's a 2 pitch pitcher, his future is in the pen.  

1 hour ago, epic said:

These 3 inning starts are just to get him more exposure/innings and work on all of his pitches, right? There's no chance they're actually trying to stretch him out to be a starter?

Indeed. I suppose it's not impossible that the O's get that idea, but Scott wasn't even a full-time start in JC. He's always been projected as a relief pitcher.

He made no starts in 2016. As you've pointed out, the reason the organization is having him start this year is to give him exposure and time to work on all of his pitches, rather than using him inconsistently out of the pen.