TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Until a few minutes ago I had never heard of Chandler Shepherd. I’ve looked at Norfolk stats several times over the past few weeks and totally managed to ignore him. 

Perhaps you didn’t look far enough down the team ERA list.   7.15 ERA for Norfolk after 10.01 in Pawtucket.   Obvious call up choice - NOT!!!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps you didn’t look far enough down the team ERA list.   7.15 ERA for Norfolk after 10.01 in Pawtucket.   Obvious call up choice - NOT!!!

I’m definitely not embarrassed that I ignored him. Ugly stuff. 

For me the way they have handled Stewart is the biggest criticism I have of Elias this year. Unless they make a move today the roster construction even on a bad team makes little sense.

I mean why is this guy not playing up here the last 2 months of the season? They gave Smith too long of a leash and now they want to carry 17 utility infielder types. 

In the big picture if I think this is Elias worst decision it has been a pretty good year but I really question why he isn’t giving DJ a chance. 

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Stewart was not in last night's lineup and he is not in tonights game either.

Injured or in Baltimore?

Can't do a minor league trade because Stewart was on the team earlier right? 

So looks like a promotion could be incoming

Stewart's status is confusing.    Roch did a blog article on what is next for the roster and doesn't even mention Stewart.   Yet Hyde said a day or two ago that they would probably add an outfielder.   I guess for a pitcher going to Norfolk.  

No mention from Dubroff about Stewart or the Sun or Trezza.   

I don't know what is happening with the guy.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Stewart's status is confusing.    Roch did a blog article on what is next for the roster and doesn't even mention Stewart.   Yet Hyde said a day or two ago that they would probably add an outfielder.   I guess for a pitcher going to Norfolk.  

No mention from Dubroff about Stewart or the Sun or Trezza.   

I don't know what is happening with the guy.

I was listening to Steve Melewski on the radio and he kept mentioning Mason Williams as a potential outfielder they were going to add and Stewart's name didn't even come up once. I have two theories about this. 1) It could be due to service time reasons down the line. If Stewart was kept up in the majors for the rest of the season and spent the next two years in Baltimore without going down, he could potentially be a Super 2 player in a couple years and the Orioles do not want to risk paying him that type of money so soon. 2) They don'[t have him in their future plans. Mountcastle doesn't have the arm strength to play any OF position besides LF. Let's say Mountcastle is moved to LF. They would likely have a lineup with Mountcastle at LF, Santander in CF, Mancini in RF, Nunez at DH and Davis is still on the roster getting ABs at 1B. The only ways Stewart would be able to fit on the roster is if they either move Nunez to 3B or eat the rest of Davis' contract and get rid of him, or maybe see if Mountcastle can play 2B. To be honest, I don't see any of those three scenarios happening. Unfortunately Stewart seems to be caught up in the numbers game because there are a number of inflexible defensive player on the roster (Nunez and Mountcastle) along with the Orioles refusal to eat Davis' contract. 

• Upvote 1

Every possible reason one can imagine for Stewart not being brought up can be refuted by counterexample of anothrler player or other actions they have taken.  We can't apply logic to figure this out.  There have to be facts we don't have access to.

I mean look at TINSTAAPP's last post above.  He puts two possible theories out:. They like Stewart SO much that they are playing service Time games. or they like him so little that he doesn't figure in the future so they're not bothering to bring him up.  We're all over the map on this because it just doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stewart has his wisdom teeth taken out that had been bothering him. 

Is this where we cue up the whole "he's been injury plagued all season!" quotes?

But on a serious note, that timing isn't good. Smith could be healthy soon and they might stick with Dwight over DJ for another month.

33 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Every possible reason one can imagine for Stewart not being brought up can be refuted by counterexample of anothrler player or other actions they have taken.  We can't apply logic to figure this out.  There have to be facts we don't have access to.

I mean look at wildcard's last post above.  He puts two possible theories out:. They like Stewart SO much that they are playing service Time games. or they like him so little that he doesn't figure in the future so they're not bothering to bring him up.  We're all over the map on this because it just doesn't make sense.

I would bet on the latter. I hope I'm wrong, but I have no confidence in Stewart being a long-term answer.